Bad Habits (Repetitive Motion) Will Hurt

I've had both good and bad experiences with chiropractors.

Back when I worked in a warehouse, I was constantly running an electric pallet jack; the type you ride on along the front. Jumping on and off of that thing for 6 months straight, while the jack wasn't done stopping, caused my hips to jump out of alignment because I would always jump off onto the same leg. I had a leg that was a good 1.5" shorter when I went in. The chiropractor popped me straight, told me to knock off what I was doing, and I was healed.

Fast forward to me getting rear ended on a freeway. I went in due to neck pain. The chiropractor yanked on my neck, which caused further pain. I had 7 bulged discs in the cervical and thoracic areas of my spine, which were irritated that much more by the guy. I couldn't move for a good week or more after that one.

In my opinion, there are a lot of quacks in the "medical" field. Just like when searching for a good inspector, you'd better find a good doctor/ chiropractor.

• 3 months later...

An annoying sore elbow has led me to yet another revelation regarding a current or future pain we all may experience, due to the fact that this motion is something that most of us do.

One would think that power steering would make driving easier, and it truly does, BUT it makes it SO easy that we tend to drive (and especially turn) with one hand. I'm driving almost twice the miles per month I once did to stay busy, which has really brought this driving habit to the forefront. That constant press against the wheel and Turning the wheel with the palm of the hand is HELL on the elbow joint - putting side-load pressure on it through the rotation of the wheel.

You may wish to give thought to whether this or the way you reach and pull forward your seat belt are sources of elbow pain.

So, far since I've stopped steering that way my elbow inflammation seems to be deminishing. I'll know for sure in about a week.

By the way, the knee is 100% so the way I got out of my vehicle and the way checked for loose toilets was DEFINITELY the source of that pain. [:-graduat

Hope this discovery rids you of a bit of future pain.

It was a joke. I can't imagine having one of those would be a good thing durring the deployment of the air bag.

Kinda figured it was. Well, for what it's worth, the elbow inflammation is actually going down. (I drive a TON - Sometimes 300 miles in a day, so I think the one arm driving was finally enough to push my elbow over the edge.)

(I'm pretty sure they're illegal.)

It was a joke. I can't imagine having one of those would be a good thing durring the deployment of the air bag.

Actually, not only are they not illegal, they are a requirement for drivers with an impairment or amputation in one arm. All states have a drivers license restriction in their codes requiring it.

Here is a quote from the Maryland MVA web site regarding restrictions:

Medical restriction

You may be required to use special equipment when driving, or your driving times and/or driving area may be limited. The types of medical restrictions that may be imposed include:

* Corrective lenses required

* Adaptive equipment required

o Hand control

o Spinner knob

o Left foot accelerator

* Outside mirrors required on both sides of the vehicle

* Prosthetic aid required

* Automatic transmission required

* Daylight driving only permitted

* Driving limited to a certain geographical area

* No driving on expressways, beltways, or interstate highways

Airbags deploy from the center of the steering wheel and the spinner is attached to the edge of the wheel. No obstruction. But, I have seen folks tape/velcro stuff to the center of the steering wheel which will probably impale them if the bag goes off.

(I'm pretty sure they're illegal.)

It was a joke. I can't imagine having one of those would be a good thing during the deployment of the air bag.

Actually, not only are they not illegal, they are a requirement for drivers with an impairment or amputation in one arm. All states have a drivers license restriction in their codes requiring it.

Here is a quote from the Maryland MVA web site regarding restrictions:

Medical restriction

You may be required to use special equipment when driving, or your driving times and/or driving area may be limited. The types of medical restrictions that may be imposed include:

* Corrective lenses required

* Adaptive equipment required

o Hand control

o Spinner knob

o Left foot accelerator

* Outside mirrors required on both sides of the vehicle

* Prosthetic aid required

* Automatic transmission required

* Daylight driving only permitted

* Driving limited to a certain geographical area

* No driving on expressways, beltways, or interstate highways

Airbags deploy from the center of the steering wheel and the spinner is attached to the edge of the wheel. No obstruction. But, I have seen folks tape/velcro stuff to the center of the steering wheel which will probably impale them if the bag goes off.

Interesting, but the problem with one arming the steering wheel can't be remedied through such a ball on the steering wheel. The problem is that, as you sweep across the top of the steering wheel (in a left hand turn with the left hand on the wheel), you're seriously side-loading the left elbow. That's the problem. When you're young, it's apparently not a problem. But, at age 59, suddenly my left elbow said, "You know? If you do that just one more time, I'm going to make you pay." And, it has delivered on the threat... No biggie - just another minor adjustment, due to an older body, to avoid future agony. [:-graduat

Yeah, but you keep making those minor adjustments so you can fall on your ass snowboarding[:-monkeyd

Isn't that the truth.

But, actually, snowboarding requires very little of one. It's far less taxing on the body than skiing, with less injuries (from the waist down) too! The prevalent injury is broken wrists from going down girly style - hands out to break the fall.

The main motion of snowboarding is so dang simple that one hardly breaks a sweat - simply arching forward and sitting slightly back on the board. That's the entire motion of snowboarding - a walk in the park compared to skiing.

When falling backward, just keep your arms in and roll over yourself, and when falling forward break your fall with your forearms as in judo.