Code Org "Alphabet Soup"

I'm interested in hooking -up with one of the code organizations in the near future, but don't know squat about them. What ever came out of all the squabbling about who would join who, blah, blah, blah?

I'd like to hear some opinions about who you gentlemen would recommend, and why.

Is the International Code likely to eventually dominate the landscape, or not?

Brian G.

Code Org Ignorant [:-boggled]

Just jumpin' in to the forum today.

Yeah, I'm an ASHI deserter as of 10/03. It was too rough to stomach the ride on the " Brandwagon." Good luck to the rest of you who are willing to continue the ride down the dusty trail. Better put your seatbelts on for the rougher ride ahead. Oh yeah! Don't forget your checkbooks so you can pay for the ride and then get billed later for the 100% gratuity.2004110163756_smiliechicken.gif

Sorry Brian, Just had to get that one in at your posts expense.

Yes, I believe the International Codes will eventually be the Model code internationally. It is currently a ' Manage a Trois ' - ICBO, BOCA and SBCCI which recently joined at the hip and are now known as the International Codes Council. Here in NY we recently adopted the new Model code, however it has been modified with amendments and reprinted by the ICC as Residential Code of New York State etc. - depending on the volume titles.

Most states are adopting this Model code as it is superbly written so as not to confuse the manure out of the AHJ's. Boring but user friendly. IMO it's probably the one you should look into, however if your state is not into it at the time, it may be of little help to you. Contact your Department of State - Codes division or something similar to that effect and ask them if they are contemplating to change over on a state level. Your state seems to be using the I-codes on some local levels.

Click the following link for the ICC, I-Code States adoption page:

http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/adoptions/adoption.html

The Homepage for the ICC is:

http://www.intlcode.org

You can click on the educational series link for information and training near you.

Originally posted by Igor Smetaniuk

It is currently a ' Manage a Trois ' - ICBO, BOCA and SBCCI...

[:-chef] Ah, there's that alphabet soup....yummy! Thanks for the good info Igor. What the heck is AHJ's, by the way? "User friendly" sounds good, I know some of the older stuff could be...obscure, in places.

I think I remember you, you were bailing out about the time I discovered the Forum over there. I read all of the old Branding posts the first few days. I believe you used the terms "impaling us" to describe how you felt about it. Was that you?

Brian G.

Memory Like an Elephant, But Not Scared of Mice [:-mouse]

Brian:

What the heck is AHJ's, by the way?

It's just a universal acronym which stands for

Authorities Having Jurisdiction. Here in NY we are called Code Enforcement Officials. They can be labeled differently across the country.

Brian:

I believe you used the terms "impaling us" to describe how you felt about it. Was that you?

My, what a memory you have to quote that from a post 4 months ago. I forgot and I'm the composer.

I guess it just ' stuck ' with you.

Brian:

I believe you used the terms "impaling us" to describe how you felt about it. Was that you?

My, what a memory you have to quote that from a post 4 months ago. I forgot and I'm the composer.

I guess it just ' stuck ' with you.

Obviously it did. I thought you 'drove home your point' quite well.

Welcome to the looney bin, pull up a straight jacket and make yourself at home.

Brian G.

Still Off My Meds [:-dopey]

Brian,

The ICC will probably be the code of choice for most cities, counties and state unless you live on the left coast. They seem to have allowed the NFPA 5000 to be adopted as their code of choice.

Passing the IRC Building Code Test isn't a big deal if you're up on your basic structural systems. I just took the Plumbing and Mechanical yesterday and they were tougher than what I'd imagined.

• 3 months later...

Well it only took 3 months, but I finally got around to joining the ICC today. I get a free issue of the current code of my choice (the IRC, of course), a subsciption to their monthly, and access to their resources (What, no tote bag?). The plan is to work towards being certified in one and two family dwellings, and making use of that knowledge and certification in my HI business. We shall see.

Brian G.

Orging Up

The ICC is where you want to join.

The I codes are the easiest to use, in my opinion, and they did a great job putting them together.

Yes the left coast went with the NFPA but there is a huge demand for ICC classes in CA. now. I for see them changing to the I codes someday.

If you can get the 2003 IRC on disk for free do it. It is searchable, printable, and you can copy it into your report when needed. (I know, some of you don't want me quoting codes but I do. Get over it[:D])

I had the 2000 in the binder, it looks good on the shelf but I get tired of dragging it in and out of the truck. [:-banghead]Load the disk on the lap top and on the home computer and put the old code book on the shelf.[:-graduate]

Just jumpin' in to the forum today.

Yeah, I'm an ASHI deserter as of 10/03. It was too rough to stomach the ride on the " Brandwagon." Good luck to the rest of you who are willing to continue the ride down the dusty trail. Better put your seatbelts on for the rougher ride ahead. Oh yeah! Don't forget your checkbooks so you can pay for the ride and then get billed later for the 100% gratuity.2004110163756_smiliechicken.gif

Sorry Brian, Just had to get that one in at your posts expense.

Some people over there seem to like branding:

Subject: website referral

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I got my fourth inspection from the new website. Hope everyone else gets similar results.

Frank Lesh

Indian Head Park, IL

708 246 4183

You have my permission to forward this to

anyone you please.

Also read another message yesterday (over there) from someone who just got 3 jobs, I think it was, heck, he might even be hanging around here. . .

Originally posted by Brian G.

Sadly, the CD was not amongst the offerings. I may buy it though, it's bound to be more convienient.

Brian G.

I bought the 2003 International Codes "The Complete Collection" CD through ICC. Got it

in the mail just yesterday. I agree. It is very easy to use, searchable, etc.

I paid $166 for it, but since you are now a member, you get a discount of some sort.

I too am going for certification to not only help me with knowledge of codes for my HI business, but I actually fell into a contract for being the AHJ for my locality. I do construction phase inspections, completion/sign off inspections, and inspect anything that requires a building permit, such as remodels, add ons, etc. Guess if I am going to do that, I better have the certification to back something up, huh? [:D]

It's ok, people around here don't get too excited or upset about me having to look up a code in the book or on computer. I have some time yet before I need to be the expert.

Originally posted by IntegrityFirst

I too am going for certification to not only help me with knowledge of codes for my HI business, but I actually fell into a contract for being the AHJ for my locality. I do construction phase inspections, completion/sign off inspections, and inspect anything that requires a building permit, such as remodels, add ons, etc.

Damn, that sounds like some gold-plated luck. Good experience, inspecting income, varied situations, business contacts, and "previous AHJ" on the resume later. Outstanding.

Brian G.

Not That I'm Jealous, Dammit [:-irked]

Damn, that sounds like some gold-plated luck. Good experience, inspecting income, varied situations, business contacts, and "previous AHJ" on the resume later. Outstanding.

Brian G.

Not That I'm Jealous, Dammit [:-irked]

I am not complaining. Before I was laid off, I thought I was pretty well set for a job and income, so I built a new home out on some acreage here in Adrian. I ended up becoming good friends with the builder (great man). After I was laid off and had a hefty house payment with no job, he asked me what I was going to do. I told him I had always wanted and thought about home/property inspections. He has lined me up from that point on.

I live in a small town of about 1,200 people, but only 30 minutes from Kansas City and many wealthy suburban areas of KC, so it is a great mix for a HI business.

I am still not making the money I used to, but I know I will live much longer now that I am not exposed to all the stress of the corporate world. That accounts for a lot!

Dan,

Here you're going to be subjected to a different type of stress, the dreaded call-back. Not to worry, every inspector will get the 'dreaded call-back'.

Phone rings: Hello, is this Dan, the Inspector man? Dan, you inspected our house in March and you missed several items that needed replacement. I have an estimate from my brother-in-law, sorry, I mean a licensed contractor for repairs that total $2,225, could you please make the check out to cash.

I actually got a call several years ago from a realtor asking me for my E & O insurance; seems she pushed my client to close before a certificate of occupancy was issued, and when the city inspector came, he requested basically the same (slightly more) electrical work that was written in my report, $2,500 worth of work, almost 2 weeks in a hotel and she wanted me to pay.

When the lawyer called, I asked him what idiot closes on a house without a C/O, (it was the lawyer and the realtors fault) and I never heard from him again.

Just a different type of stress.

Darren

Darren,

I suppose you are right, but for some reason that type of risk doesn't stress me out. I have set up my company as an LLC managed by another LLC, so there is some pretty strong liability and financial sheilding in place. I also have a really good relationship with the city council, including the mayor. They will not eliminate all risk, but they have powers of influence to ward off quite a bit.

I was a Software Engineer/Unix Systems Administrator in the corporate world. One of those situations where they suckered me to do two jobs for the price of one and the one by itself wasn't enough pay for the bs. I worked on "average" 70 hours a week, not including the after hours calls to my home asking me to join a friggin conference call at wee hours of the night and morning. To put it simply, I had no life outside that job.

I work my own hours now, including not working if I don't feel like it. I am not making the $$ I was before, but I feel like I have my life back again. I am in control.

"For me", the risk of litigation is far less stress than what I was dealing with before. Time will tell I guess, but so far, I wouldn't go back to the corporate world again. Only way I would do it is if my kids were suffering. Then and only then would I make that sacrifice and go back to the corporate world.

Sorry for the off topic rant