Replacing R22 condenser - what is recommended?

MPdesign

Replacing R22 condenser - what is recommended?

So people are replacing condensing units. No big deal.

Okay, The condensing units (99+% are R22) and they are going to quit making them. Big Deal.

Given, R22 will be made for a long time; but people have 15-20 year old condensers and the whole thing needs replacement.

I have heard clients complain that they need to replace the entire line sets and coils - is this true? I thought that R410A could work in the same line set?

Many of the line sets are 2 floors away through lab areas or gosh knows where else. The people in these areas really don't even call maintenance unless there is a huge problem because they have 10 year old experiments running, are paranoid, etc.... In other words, it is not just as easy as "replace the whole system" because of the lineset locations and fan coil locations.

What do you guys think is the best solution and why?

If it's an air conditioner, R-410A. Nothing wrong with the R-22 line set, it's just the mineral oil that coats the inside of them. It isn't the least compatible with the new synthetic oils. If it's a lot of trouble to run a new line set, then clean them out, otherwise just change them.

Marc

As of 2010 you can not buy a new R-22 condensing unit, only R410a.

I heard from a very large apartment complex maintenance manager this week that their is a loop hole in the law and they just can not sell pre-charged R-22 units. He indicated that two companies are currently offering units charged with nitrogen and you charge it with R-22 on-site.

As of 2010 you can not buy a new R-22 condensing unit, only R410a.

I heard from a very large apartment complex maintenance manager this week that their is a loop hole in the law and they just can not sell pre-charged R-22 units. He indicated that two companies are currently offering units charged with nitrogen and you charge it with R-22 on-site.

Which two companies would those be?

First I've heard of something like that. So it's a R-410a system that has a holding charge of Nitrogen but you can just drop R-22 in? Or is it an older R-22 system that has a holding charge of Nitrogen just waiting for R-22?

I don't think any reputable manufacture would still manufacture a R-22 system but ship it with a holding charge of Nitrogen (unless of course it's Goodman).

Perhaps their moving old stock out the back door after dark? Just like Robert Mitchum in Thunder Alley - running a truck load of R-22 condensing units, down a country road, after midnight. They call 'em Freon Joe.