Siemens Breakers Recalled For Fire Hazard

Phillip

WASHINGTON, D.C.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Siemens and Murray Circuit Breakers, Load Centers and Meter Combos

Units: About 2.2 million

Importer: Siemens Industry Inc., of Alpharetta, Ga.

Hazard: The recalled circuit breakers have a spring clip that can break during normal use, leading to a loss of force to maintain a proper electrical connection in the panelboard. This can lead to excessive temperature, arcing or thermal damage at the connection point, and damage to the panelboard’s electrical insulation and can result in a fire, property damage, or personal injury.

Incidents/Injuries: Siemens has received one report of a circuit breaker spring clip that broke during installation. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves Siemens and Murray 15 through 50 AMP single and double pole circuit breakers, load centers (circuit breakers that come with an electrical panel), and meter combos (contain a load center and a meter socket). “Siemensâ€

So, one clip broke and now there's a recall.

No fires, no damage, no one hurt. It looks as if nothing even got warm.

One broken clip. . .

It's a German owned company,

I've got plenty of friends in Germany. I can tell you with authority that Germans are both fascinated and horrified by the way Americans, for the smallest thing, sue each other - especially large firms - in what seems to them to be a never-ending quest to hit the big payola.

They'd probably rather go to the expense of the recall than to deal with the bad publicity and loss of business that a CPSC product defect lawsuit and fine would bring.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

So, one clip broke and now there's a recall.

No fires, no damage, no one hurt. It looks as if nothing even got warm.

One broken clip. . .

It's a German owned company,

I've got plenty of friends in Germany. I can tell you with authority that Germans are both fascinated and horrified by the way Americans, for the smallest thing, sue each other - especially large firms - in what seems to them to be a never-ending quest to hit the big payola.

They'd probably rather go to the expense of the recall than to deal with the bad publicity and loss of business that a CPSC product defect lawsuit and fine would bring.

Hey, I'm just saying, that's all. Better to recall a few month's worth of product than to have something catch fire.

I just keep thinking about Federal Pacific & Zinsco and I can't help but conclude that something, somewhere is screwy.

But then the sage words of Pumbaa come to me, "You gotta put your behind in the past."