Scammer Pleads Guilty To Bilking 20,000 Inspectors

hausdok

Seattle Times/September 29, 2010/The Associated Press

Former Michigan State basketball star Jay Vincent pleaded guilty Tuesday to two crimes linked to a $2 million Internet scam, a stunning fall for a homegrown sports hero who also played in the NBA.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Former Michigan State basketball star Jay Vincent pleaded guilty Tuesday to two crimes linked to a $2 million Internet scam, a stunning fall for a homegrown sports hero who also played in the NBA.

To read more, click here.

I know him. He was a charmer.

An interesting word choice - the two words most frequently used by victims to describe their sociopathic perpetrator are "glib" and "charming".

There is nothing worse than dealing first hand with someone that completely lacks a conscience. Until you fully understand that they can do anything without any remorse and lie right to your face, even about things you know better, it's easy to begin to wonder if you aren't loosing your mind. I had the misfortune of receiving a first hand ten year education at the feet of one. It's an experience you never forget. You have to throw everything you want to believe about the goodness of man out the window, and then you might have a chance dealing with one. [:-graduat

What's REALLY sobering is that one in twenty-five is a sociopath. We deal with them every day...

I knew Jay and his family for many years. Nice people. His brother Sam is a true role model for any young person.

Jay, not so much.

Jay sued me for several million dollars over a home inspection issue. Did not get anywhere with it or all the threats to do physical violence to me.

The money is not only gone, there is no way to really know how much was taken. Some of the posters on this forum paid to play.

This sort of thing happens in our business quite often. Particularily in the real estate portion of our work.

Mike, you know I am not the sort to be "charmed". Jay could be loads of fun, dashing, extremely talented (ball player) and a tad on the greedy side.

He will go to prison and nothing good will come of that experience. He could do wonders in the community with a little supervision.

Mike, you know I am not the sort to be "charmed". Jay could be loads of fun, dashing, extremely talented (ball player) and a tad on the greedy side.

Yes, I understand. I didn't mean to suggest that you're easily charmed. No offense intended at all. I just found it so fitting you chose that word. It strikes a note with me. Sociopaths are notorious for being charming. They are the living example of the old phrase, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

There is nothing worse than dealing first hand with someone that completely lacks a conscience. Until you fully understand that they can do anything without any remorse and lie right to your face, even about things you know better, it's easy to begin to wonder if you aren't loosing your mind.

I fully understand - especially when it is someone in your own family. No need for details... been there however. These people are cold, calculated and very manipulative. The real acting starts when you confront them.

There is nothing worse than dealing first hand with someone that completely lacks a conscience. Until you fully understand that they can do anything without any remorse and lie right to your face, even about things you know better, it's easy to begin to wonder if you aren't loosing your mind.

I fully understand - especially when it is someone in your own family. No need for details... These people are cold, calculated and very manipulative. The real acting starts when you confront them.

Ah, spoken by another one who knows. If there ever was a twilight zone, dealing with a sociopath is as close as it gets - an exact negative of everything we love about mankind. It's not that they mean to be as they are - they are handicapped - intelligent, but with the emotional development of an eight year old. Life is a chess game to them, because they cannot operate guided by conscience, empathy, sympathy, love, et. Oh, they can observe those odd phenomenons and mirror them, but they can't feel (experience) them. There are non-criminal sociopaths that get along fairly well, but it's almost impossible to avoid injury when tied to one.

The hilariously ironic part of it all is; realizing they are handicapped and experiencing sympathy toward them only to realize they cannot understand, receive or identify with your well intentioned feelings. They have no idea what you're talking about or what they're missing, and if they DO become aware of the difference, they are empowered by their ability to do what those with a conscience cannot... A very interesting personality that is difficult to get a handle on.

My sympathies Terence. It's no fun. Once I was able to understand, I could walk with a clear conscience, and did.

In fact, anyone that is interested in Psychology will find The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout fascinating. She opens with this:

"Imagine - if you can - not having a conscience, none at all, no feelings of guilt or remorse no matter what you do, no limiting sense of concern of the well-being of strangers, friends, or even family members. Imagine no struggles with shame, not a single one in your whole life, no matter what kind of selfish, lazy, harmful, or immoral action you had taken. And pretend that the concept of responsibility is unknown to you, except as a burden others seem to accept without question, like gullible fools. Now add to this strange fantasy the ability to conceal from other people that your psychological makeup is radically different from theirs. Since everyone simply assumes that conscience is universal among human beings, hiding the fact that you are conscience-free is nearly effortless. You are not held back from any of your desires by guilt or shame, and you are never confronted by others for your cold-bloodedness. The ice water in your veins is so bizarre, so completely outside of their personal experience that they seldom even guess at your condition.

In other words, you are completely free of internal restraints, and your unhampered liberty to do just as you please, with no pangs of conscience, is conveniently invisible to the world. You can do anything at all, and still your strange advantage over the majority of people, who are kept in line by their consciences, will most likely remain undiscovered."

and

Without Conscience by Robert D Hare the most well known expert regarding sociopathy. He developed the Hare checklist in the link below.

In your business dealings and living, here is helpful warning:

http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv/Ha ... klist.html

I actually ENJOY being a sociopath. I've never had a bad day in my life because of it.

What Terry said about being cold, calculating and manipulative? Doesn't hurt my feelings the slightest 'cause I don't have any.

Gotta run. I'm having a new friend for dinner . . .

Good luck.[:-eyebrow