Question on Home Inspection

Sorry if this is off topic or "not the right forum" for a question from a soon to be home owner. I am curious if it is typical for a home inspector to give the customer a print out of a sketch of the property with the problems pointed out on the sketch that would go along with the inspector's usual report.

I hope this isn't too off topic. I appreciate any feedback that you'll can offer.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No, a sketch is not 'typical'. Some inspectors, to my knowledge a very small number, provide sketches with their reports, but most of us do not. Every once in a while, if I have a very complicated issue to describe that has multiple locations I will provide a sketch, but it is pretty rare.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Jeff,

I use a sketch and note were utilities are located, hose bibs, etc., and also noted exterior defects in a general area. I tell my clients that this sketch is not all inclusive or to scale and is just to help me with my report writing. I do include it with my hard copy reports.

I go to the Appraisal district website for county and print off their drawing if available. Some counties do not include the drawing but the area I work most does include it. The measurements that the county uses for taxes are on this drawing and I use those measurements were needed.

Buster

Originally posted by Darren

The only time I ever include a sketch is with the WDI (termite) report IF there is evidence of infestation.

The sketch would include what type of wood destroying insect is present PB (powderpost beetle), CA (carperter ant) X (termite) etc.

Darren

Darren,

Wait, don't tell me...... Frank Zappa?

I certainly hope not.

Guys and gals.

The last thing I need as TIJ's owner/editor is to be named as a correspondent in a lawsuit over the wrongful use of someone else's image. Please, do not use photos of film stars, public figures or other "celebrities" as your avatars here, unless you have that person's permission to do so. Post a photo of yourself, your company or organization's logo, a sketch as Stan has done, or use one of the avatar's from our avatar list, but don't put me in a position of having to spend time cleaning up avatars, or I'll turn the feature off altogether.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike