Jump to content

Question for Bill

Douglas Hansen

Recommended Posts

Jim is quite likely correct. If it's a tall cylinder tank and appears to be 20 gallon capacity or more, it's a range boiler. All of the range boiler tanks I've seen are supported on the bottom by a cast iron trivet stand.

It stored hot water from the "water back" of a coal or wood-fired cooking range. The water back was a cast iron box installed in place of the rear fire-box lining in the range. Many of these exploded causing injuries and death.

I have a diagram somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...