Masonite installation manual

Marc

Today's one year old house had what I first thought was fiber cement siding but after taking a photo of the bottom of the first course with my camera on the ground, I then realized that it was masonite.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101110212510_034.jpg

50.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010111021272_028.jpg

52.17 KB

This client is taking legal action against the builder for reasons other than this masonite but I'm trying to get her as much ammo as possible. There's no fasteners on the exposed surfaces, some panels deflect when you press upon them lightly and the first course is within 2 3/4 of the soil in some places.

Does anyone have a guide on masonite siding installation?

Marc

I don't have any of the hardboard siding installation instructions.

I thought that Masonite stopped making siding many years ago.

Are you sure it isn't another brand of hardboard siding?

I'm in the habit of referring to any type of hardboard siding as 'Masonite'. Who's manufacturing it today?

Marc

Looks like fiber cement to me as well.

Hint: If you can't tell for sure, take the sharp point of your screwdriver, push it up against the siding, and grind slightly. You should be able to tell from there......

I scraped the bottom edge of the first course with my fingernail, as I usually do, and the material was brown, not white.

I've written the report which 'suspects' hardboard and recommends that the installation be repeated with compliance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. I used LP's smartsiding manual as an example. there were many examples of a faulty installation.

Marc

Hi

Color or no, it does appear to be a fiber-cement product. If so, blind nailing is required and panel movement is pretty much the norm. BC has to be 6-inches above soil but can be down to within two inches of porches, steps, patios or other hardscaping.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

With James Hardie products blind nailing is preferred, but (properly done) face nailing is acceptable. I haven't used other brands to know about them.

Marc--

Are you sure the brown color you found when scraping it wasn't simply dirt seeing as how you tested the bottom edge of the first course?

With James Hardie products blind nailing is preferred, but (properly done) face nailing is acceptable.

That's not exactly correct; JH says that face nailing should "only be used where required for high wind areas and must not be used in conjunction with blind nailing."

Isn't the color plus primer a light brownish color?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I still think it's hardboard. 2009 is too old to be the new Hardie, and the shadow line looks too fat to be the old. Look at the pic below, the bottom piece is brand new hardboard, the top is Hardie.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101111141531_102_1551.jpg

35.75 KB

Based on the suppliers in my area I would guess the hardboard is from GP or Weyerhauser. I 2 stepped it so I can't be sure.

• 4 months later...

Hi I have read the posts here and buy doing so I believe I have the same stuff as Marc was describing it's like paper

it's smooth on the front and at very bottom has a beveled edge ½ round and it is very thin

I need to replace like 18-20 pieces of this through here and Google I get the idea you can't get it anymore ?

although someone asked who was making it now.

I went to Lowe's and checked the Hardi plank one was about same thickness but was textured and missing the routed edge

I know there must be something to replace this or at least replicate it

I am not sure on how to add photos to these posts

but I will take a photo tomorrow of the siding and maybe someone could post a quick how -to

I'm not brain dead just need a refresher in html :)

Well thanks for the info

Mike

Hi,

Make sure that the photo is in a compatible format - saving it in JPEG works best - and that it's not too large. Use a photo resizing tool to get it under 200k.

Make sure the name on the photo doesn't contain any spaces or special symbols.

This won't work: my photo of my issue(3)

This will work: MyPhotoOfMyIssue_3 or My_photo_of_my_ussue_3 or something similar without special symbols or blank spaces.

Click on the "edit post" button above your post. Once the composition box comes up, place your cursor where you want the photo to go, left-click, click on the "upload a visible picture" button below the box, scroll to the photo on your computer, highlight the photo file, click upload photo to .....'s post. It will tell you that you were successful, close the box. Click submit changes and you're done.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike