Scheduling Software

Right now, our company is using a product called Office Tracker ( http://www.officetracker.com/ ). It includes a database for our clients and it merges with a schedule for 4 inspectors. Our office manager maintains and updates the server and the 4 of us can log in to see everyone's schedules, search the database and make updates to all of it as necessary. So far, it's been quite stable and has worked well for us.

We're getting to a point where we're going to need to update the software and it'll be a bit of an investment because of the way they've restructured their pricing. Before we decide to go forward, we thought that we'd look around and see what else is available.

So, is anyone familiar with other scheduling/database programs like this? If so, what are their pros & cons?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Don't know what you are paying now, but TSS what the software of choice when I was in the 12v biz. It's mainly designed around a 12v shop, but it does have a nice main screen with the day laid out in 15 min increments. It does everything, inventory, payment gateway, schedule, time-clock, p&l reports, etc...

I believe it is distributed by AAMP of America. When I was using it (2003) it was around 99 a month. No buy option available. http://aampofamerica.com/web/homeces.asp

Jan Crimmings, who operates a website and message board that I'm active on is a Canadian software developer. One of her clients is a large Toronto inspection firm. She developed a program for them that pretty much matches what your looking for for. I can't comment on the functionality of the program because I've never seen it, but I've known Jan for many years. She's top notch.

If you contact her, tell her Inspectorjoe says hi.

http://www.cottagecomputing.com/

janc@cottagecomputing.com

Don't know what you are paying now, but TSS what the software of choice when I was in the 12v biz. It's mainly designed around a 12v shop, but it does have a nice main screen with the day laid out in 15 min increments. It does everything, inventory, payment gateway, schedule, time-clock, p&l reports, etc...

I believe it is distributed by AAMP of America. When I was using it (2003) it was around 99 a month. No buy option available. http://aampofamerica.com/web/homeces.asp

Thanks, but unless it can make me breakfast & clean the dishes, $99/month is way too much.

- Jim Katen

Jan Crimmings, who operates a website and message board that I'm active on is a Canadian software developer. One of her clients is a large Toronto inspection firm. She developed a program for them that pretty much matches what your looking for for. I can't comment on the functionality of the program because I've never seen it, but I've known Jan for many years. She's top notch.

If you contact her, tell her Inspectorjoe says hi.

http://www.cottagecomputing.com/

janc@cottagecomputing.com

Thanks, I'll call her next week.

- Jim Katen

3D software has a office management/scheduling program built into the software, it works pretty darn well. On the other hand since I'm a solo company I find that Outlook works best for me. I simply download my schedule to my iPhone and away I go.

So I assume that the 3D scheduling software isn't available as a stand-alone product?

We aren't likely to switch to 3D.

- Jim Katen

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Right now, our company is using a product called Office Tracker ( http://www.officetracker.com/ ). It includes a database for our clients and it merges with a schedule for 4 inspectors. Our office manager maintains and updates the server and the 4 of us can log in to see everyone's schedules, search the database and make updates to all of it as necessary. So far, it's been quite stable and has worked well for us.

We're getting to a point where we're going to need to update the software and it'll be a bit of an investment because of the way they've restructured their pricing. Before we decide to go forward, we thought that we'd look around and see what else is available.

So, is anyone familiar with other scheduling/database programs like this? If so, what are their pros & cons?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Have a look at Enbraun's eResource Scheduler, a resource scheduling & planning software[/url] where resources can be human or non-human.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. We're still using Officetracker and we're still looking at alternatives. We'll be considering everything that's been suggested.

As for Google Calendar, it would, indeed, handle our schedules, but we're also looking for something that holds a client database with a couple of dozen fields per client. I don't see any way to make Google Calenders do that.

• 2 months later...

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Have a look at Enbraun's eResource Scheduler, a resource scheduling & planning software where resources can be human or non-human.

Hi Nancy...

Can you brief me about the features of eresource scheduler and installation requirements, and on what platform the software works ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. We're still using Officetracker and we're still looking at alternatives. We'll be considering everything that's been suggested.

As for Google Calendar, it would, indeed, handle our schedules, but we're also looking for something that holds a client database with a couple of dozen fields per client. I don't see any way to make Google Calenders do that.

Jim, have you checked out ISN yete? InspectionSupport.net. A lot of our guys have started using them, especially the larger multiple inspector companies. They do everything you need to run your office from automated text reminders before inspections to report uploads, cc processing, online scheduling, inspector tracking, etc.

Originally posted by dcmeagle

Jim, have you checked out ISN yete? InspectionSupport.net. A lot of our guys have started using them, especially the larger multiple inspector companies. They do everything you need to run your office from automated text reminders before inspections to report uploads, cc processing, online scheduling, inspector tracking, etc.

I have not. But I will. It looks interesting. Thanks.

I've been using Inspection Support Network for about eight months. They offer many more included services than Dominic mentioned. Their support is awesome, Home Inspector Pro awesome. You can use it free for a while. The setup does take some time, but ISN will help you. They even do a lot of the setup work for free.

The system is constantly upgraded. Did I mention the support is awesome.

Their calendar syncs with Google and Outlook. Clients receive and execute the inspection agreement via email. No more chasing down signatures.

You can use the system to do mass marketing emails. Send surveys, or automatically send follow up emails to clients.

Highly recommended!

• 7 months later...

I also have been using ISN for over a year know and absolutely love it. Integration with my report writing software (whisper), QuickBooks, and other programs, is also a plus. I maintain better communications with my clients now than I ever did on my own. Great mobile app to boot.

The price seems high for the value.

I also have been using ISN for over a year know and absolutely love it. Integration with my report writing software (whisper), QuickBooks, and other programs, is also a plus. I maintain better communications with my clients now than I ever did on my own. Great mobile app to boot.

The price seems high for the value.

I agree, I just don't think that most folks would really need all of the bells and whistles they offer.