This Would Be a Bitchin' Inspectmobile

hausdok

Good looking wagon, but spoiled by the stupid rims and low-profile tires.

She needs whitewalls.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Almost the end of the sedan delivery era. I would prefer a two-tone grey color scheme. Yellow car = speeding tickets.

Change the rims or lower the car. Those wheels go with the lead sled look.

I guess a ladder on the roof would spoil the look a bit.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010113015223_55_chyrsler1.jpg

29.3 KB

I might have bought this one, but it was yellow. $170G at the Barrett Jackson auction a couple of wks ago.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011301504_1955_chyrsler.jpg

49.39 KB

I've always wanted an old Checker Marathon cab for an inspection vehicle.

Used to have one of those back in 1972. Bought it for $90 from a dude when I quit the Toyota shop in Schenectady and needed something large enough to haul my rollaways and tools to the Toyo shop in Brookfield, CT.

Called it Labamba. The mains were so worn that she knocked like a cobbler nailing on soles. You could hear that engine knocking from 50 yards away. Filled up the crankcase with 50% motor oil and 50% gear old and tossed the dice that she'd make it the 200 miles. She made it and I sold her for $150 to some kid. Used to see him still tooling around town a year later, smoke pouring out of the tailpipe, happy as a clam. Should have asked him for $200 I guess.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

If you mean wheels with portions that keep spinning after you've stopped, then yes, they're just like that. Faux knock off hubs, aka spinners, are much cooler.[;)]

The only thing more pathetic than those wheels on that car is the fact that automakers have decided to mimic that subculture posturing and put enormous wheels and puny tires on everything from subcompacts to SUVs. Vehicles are costly enough, I don't need a stupid wheel and tire combo adding unnecessary expense.

That's a nice ride Mike. Where did you see it?

Back in the early 70's I purchased a 57. Black 2-door with a 327 vette transplant. It was a lot of fun but I was running just below the poverty level with two rug rats. I miss the kids now and again.

Just down the street.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The only thing more pathetic than those wheels on that car is the fact that automakers have decided to mimic that subculture posturing and put enormous wheels and puny tires on everything from subcompacts to SUVs. Vehicles are costly enough, I don't need a stupid wheel and tire combo adding unnecessary expense.

Actually, they give you an all around lighter wheel. Magnesium or whatever alloy spokes are much lighter than the equivalent amount of steel belted rubber. And reducing the wheel weight is a good thing.

Hitting a sharp curb with a $900 rim and 3" of rubber is a bad thing. [:)]

Sent those photos to my younger brother.

He's been buying and restoring 55 - 57 Chevys for the past 30 years. He has some pretty uncomplimentary things to say about it. Still if would make a bitchin' inspectmobile even if the Belair badge is wrong, it does need to have "all of the hotrod crap scraped off it, the hole in the floor welded up, the engine and transmission pulled and replaced with an appropriate small block and tranny, the steering column restored, the suspension restored, the dash restored, the diamond pleat ripped out and replaced," etc. etc. Jeesh, purists can be such a pain in the keester. Makes it hard to enjoy something.

Here's the last one he did before he got his Harley sidecar, his current toy. He gets testy if one points out that the rims and tires are anything but stock and I won't repeat what he said when I pointed out he'd taken some of those pictures with the headlight bezels off.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121121050_Hughs57.jpg

64.41 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201012112119_Hughs57_1.jpg

51.82 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121121136_Hughs571.jpg

38.04 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121121152_Hughs572.jpg

68.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201012112137_Hughs572.jpg

68.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121121337_Hughs573.jpg

15.56 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121122525_HughsNewHarley1.jpg

68.61 KB

The tires and wheels may not be stock but they're sooo appropriate. Classic Cragar SS styling ala George Barris. The 75 series profile looks way better than the curb clunking 40 series tires.

Sigh,

Gearballers, can't live with 'em and ya can't kill 'em.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike