aluminum wire fixes

Tom144

I have two questions: Has anyone seen AFCI breakers being used as a fix for aluminum wires? If so, do you think it is a good fix by itself.

The second is, does anyone have much info on the AlumiConn for aluminum wire fixes?

The latest generation of AFCIs might make a good safety net for aluminum wiring AFTER all of the connections in the system have been checked and improved as necessary. AFCI's should be the last line of defense, not the first.

The Alumiconn connectors are the best thing out there for connecting aluminum wires to copper wires.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I was thinking the same thing with the AFCI. Last I heard, the CPSC still only approves the COPALUM crimp but it's almost impossible to find an electrician that does them. I believe the AlumiConn connectors has been up for their approval but last heard it's still pending. Have you heard that it's been approved by them yet?

I was thinking the same thing with the AFCI. Last I heard, the CPSC still only approves the COPALUM crimp but it's almost impossible to find an electrician that does them. I believe the AlumiConn connectors has been up for their approval but last heard it's still pending. Have you heard that it's been approved by them yet?

The Alumiconn connectors are UL listed. That's what counts.

The CPSC is an organization of bureaucrats, not scientists. Their approval doesn't mean squat.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Can't argue with you there, but it's nice to have another "authority" put a stamp of approval on something other than just the UL, they also approved the Ideal #65 twister and it has not proven to be all that great.

Actually, it's a fine product. The CPSC is the only organization that seems to have a problem with it and their concerns are based on tests that are, quite simply, whacky.

The CPSC has done a lot of good over the years -- safety glass comes to mind. Unfortunately, they also contribute a lot of needless crap to our culture and they've failed to act when doing so would make a really important difference. They're not the organization that I'd want to quote regarding anything technical or scientific.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 5 months later...

Can't argue with you there, but it's nice to have another "authority" put a stamp of approval on something other than just the UL, they also approved the Ideal #65 twister and it has not proven to be all that great.

Actually, it's a fine product. The CPSC is the only organization that seems to have a problem with it and their concerns are based on tests that are, quite simply, whacky.

The CPSC has done a lot of good over the years -- safety glass comes to mind. Unfortunately, they also contribute a lot of needless crap to our culture and they've failed to act when doing so would make a really important difference. They're not the organization that I'd want to quote regarding anything technical or scientific.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

It turns out that on March 19 of 2011 the CPSC unanimously approved ALUMICONN, as an additional approved remedy.

Apparently, CPSC Publication 516 will be modified, to include AlumiConn, and re-printed. [:-thumbu]