Caulking the toilet base

Marc

For Educational Purposes, I'll offer this:

Any inspector who dedicates more than a single neural synapse to whether or not the base of any toilet bowl is caulked, grouted, or otherwise chemically adhered to the floor covering is very likely missing something vital. If you ever find yourself wondering, I advise: Go back and take a look around.

my two cents,

Jimmy

• 4 weeks later...

Any inspector who dedicates more than a single neural synapse to whether or not the base of any toilet bowl is caulked, grouted, or otherwise chemically adhered to the floor covering is very likely missing something vital. If you ever find yourself wondering, I advise: Go back and take a look around.

my two cents,

Jimmy

I always say "no" to caulking the toilet/floor joint when client's ask. If there is a small leak there, you want to be able to see it. The caulking will seal in the water until the leak gets bigger and you see the damage on the ceiling under the toilet.

If I'm remembering correctly, my father's plumbing sub would always leave a gap about 1-inch wide at the very back of the pedestal, the theory being that if any water were squirting out of the seal some might drain out of the slot and provide a tip-off that something isn't right. Back then, he'd bed the pedestal in plumber's putty because they didn't have silicone caulk that's as hardy and durable as what's available today.

I think that a decent bead, once fully cured, provides a more solid base if it's applied first and the pedestal is bedded into that along with the seal. I don't know that just applying a bead around the perimeter, once the pedestal is down, is doing anything except providing a neat cosmetic transition.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

To prevent urine from seeping under the toilet. This is particularly important in households that include little boys.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well, after posting regarding my personal experience with why it's helpful to caulk a toilet to the floor, I now see Jim has already posted that same reason here. Yup, little boys can make keeping a busy half bath odor free tough.if youre relying on a bead of caulk to keep toilet from moving you have bigger issues! [:P]

my two cents,

Jimmy

i find myself agreeing,that never happens! [:-slaphap