Corrosion On Boiler

dtontarski

Nothing was wet at the time of the inspection, but there is also no evidence of any type of repairs around the corrosion.

As this is a fuel oil boiler that hasn't been serviced for about a year, I am going to recommend that it be serviced and that the corrosion be further evaluated while the HVAC pro is there.

Self-sealed leak (like a scab on a wound) at the coil plate area (now used for the boiler aquastat). I call them out...

...'routine maintenance' and needs 'regasketing'.

If this was an internal tankless coil, they could 'check the coil' at that time also. Heating guys typically don't make an issue of them because they see them all the time I guess.. "Leave it alone" is what they usually say.. They are not MRIs like we are. We have to get to the nub on the spot and make a decision...

Nothing was wet at the time of the inspection, but there is also no evidence of any type of repairs around the corrosion.

As this is a fuel oil boiler that hasn't been serviced for about a year, I am going to recommend that it be serviced and that the corrosion be further evaluated while the HVAC pro is there.

This is not unusual where there is a separate water heater. The boiler shuts down for the summer and leaks. When it is heated up again it seals itself. There may also be internal leaks on the push nipples that you usually don't see. Boilers don't do well when they expand and contract over the years. As Kurt said, report it as a problem.