GPS units

I have a Garmin model sumthin sumthin. I like it because it has an Australian woman's voice. I often turn the wrong way just to hear her chide "naughty, naughty boy"

My older brother lives in Australia, and has now for about 37 years. he's truly an Aussie now, and I love it when he or any of his seven kids come to visit, for the same reason. Ya can't help but smile when they're around - a funny bunch.

We took them to Outback Restaurant last time they were here, which they found hilarious.

My son, while working a catapult on the John C. Stennis, pulled into Perth. When he ordered a Fosters, the bartender said, "What's that mate?" - an unknown there.

The Aussie women L O V E American men and literally line the pier waiting for the ships to dock.

I'm dying to go, and eventually will...

I have a Garmin model sumthin sumthin. I like it because it has an Australian woman's voice. I often turn the wrong way just to hear her chide "naughty, naughty boy"

Jeez,

I love to hear a woman's Australian drawl. We have an Australian weathergirl here on one of the local TV news channels and I watch it just to hear her. Guess I've got to get a Garmin. Right now, if I set it to English, I have a choice between a brit and american. I'd rather listen to Peggy Bundy than to the british ladies voice. She just sounds so cold; hell, the German lady's voice is easier on my ears than the british lady's.

Damn you, Fabry!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Just got an email alert from CompUsa. Today they're having a Green Monday sale, whatever the hell that is. There's a Garmin with a 4.3" screen, Nuvi 265WT (whatever that is), text to speech, free lifetime traffic, bluetooth, and US and Canadian maps for $139.99.

Some other interesting deals over there:

A 23-inch wide screen LCD monitor for $139.99 (Jeez, buy 3 and you've got a cockpit!

A GE 12.2 MP digital camera with 3X digital zoom, face detection, red-eye removal and more for $49.99. That looks like a good first camera for a pretty young kid for Christmas or for an in-the-pinch backup when the main inspection camera is on the blink. Here's the link:

http://www.compusa.com/email/compusa/CO ... 11-_-email

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdokI'd rather listen to Peggy Bundy than to the british ladies voice. She just sounds so cold; hell, the German lady's voice is easier on my ears than the british lady's.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I tried the Brit too, for a day or two, and it really did become annoying very quickly.

Originally posted by hausdokI'd rather listen to Peggy Bundy than to the british ladies voice. She just sounds so cold; hell, the German lady's voice is easier on my ears than the british lady's.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I tried the Brit too, for a day or two, and it really did become annoying very quickly.

That's why the colonists revolted.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

LOL[:D]

I just got the Garmin Nuvi 1450. It is a pain the neck just to turn down the volume, using the touch screen. My old Garmin had a wheel on the side, which made volume changing instant if it talks while your on the phone.

Oh yeah, it has ads, too.

ADS!!!???? Wow! Never heard that one before. I've owned about six or seven Garmins, which keep getting passed down to the kidos. I've never seen ads. That's gotta be a feature you can turn off? It's hard to imagine they'd hold you hostage in some way until you cough up coin to turn the feature off...

Yup, just googled that. You can turn it off, brother Neal. Here's how:

"Garmin automotive navigation devices, like most popular GPS units, offer real time traffic reports. What separates Garmin from its competitors is that its traffic updates aren't paid premium subscription services. Instead, Garmin's traffic updates are supported by a series of pop-up ads that many users find annoying. The only way to remove these ads from a Garmin GPS device is to remove traffic updates.

.Difficulty: Easy

Instructions: 1. Navigate to the Gamin's main menu. 2. Select "Settings." 3. Tap the down arrow in the right corner. 4. Click "Traffic." 5. Choose "Enable Traffic." If the check box does not have a check in it, you've disabled traffic updates and removed the pop-up ads.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

LOL[:D]

(A part of my annoyance may actually be the result of personal baggage. I have issues with being told to do ANYTHING by a female... I've retired from that unpleasantry. [:-graduat )

Another thing about GPS - You have to know the area well enough to know when to over-rule the GPS. This morning I'm in BFE (a little mountain town outside of a foothills city) The GPS says turn left, which means I go over a mountain, on a twisty turny road with a one lane bridge: ETA OF 1:44 PM. So, I ignore it, to drive a mile down a main thoroughfare to the interstate hwy. The GPS tells me I'm "off course", recalculates, and informs me that now the ETA will be 1:44 PM...

A lot of times, when I over-rule, it comes back informing me of additional time to go my way, when I know darn well that my way is faster and easier.

Unfortunately, GPS can't take into considerations, hills, turns, one lane bridges, stop signs/lights, etc. It's only a guide, not the navigator.

Garmin is the easiest simplest in my opinion. I named mine after my wife.

You might wanna reword that - unless you meant it the way I read it.

Garmin is the easiest, simplest in my opinion,

After listening to it tell me what to do when to do it etc.., I named mine after my wife.

=)

Hi,

Well, CompUsa just dropped the price on the Garmin 265WT I described above from $139.99 to $119.99 but there is a one day only special on that ends in another 4 hours where it's going for $99.99 when purchased online. That's a $120 savings.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... No=4177813

There's also the Garmin Nuvi 205W with a 4.3" screen for $79.99. Here's the link:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... =G145-0210

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike