Aga cooker

I had some wealthy people buying a house with a 4-oven Aga cooker. The house had no other conventional range. This model was gas-fired. I've watched some U-tube videos to see how the thing works, but it seems to me that you have to re-think your cooking methods (that is if you have any).

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101212193936_IMG_1014.jpg

44.71 KB

The concept is that its always on. The gas flame heats a chamber, which in turns heats each oven to different temperatures and the two cook tops to different temperatures. There are no control knobs. You bake or heat in the oven or cooktop that has the right temperature.

The cooktop surfaces have metal lids that you close to conserve heat when not in use. Does anyone have first hand experience with these? If the thing is burning a 15,000 btu/hr burner 24/7, it must not be too energy efficient.

They were extremely popular in the UK from the 30s until this decade. They're better suited to the weather and climate there. I became quite familiar with them at one time. These were also considered the heat source for the part of the house where the kitchen is located. I had a lot of clients from the British isles putting them in old farmhouses here. They're the heart of a "country home".

Americans don't know anything about stored-heat stove cooking. They weren't intended for this side of the pond.

Hi,

Yeah, I've seen about a half dozen. Always in wealthier homes or where there was a gourmet cook in the family. As bill said, you can pretty much heat the house with the darned things. I don't say much about them. Folks buying a house with one of those usually aren't concerned about the cost of gas.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I had some wealthy people buying a house with a 4-oven Aga cooker. The house had no other conventional range. This model was gas-fired. I've watched some U-tube videos to see how the thing works, but it seems to me that you have to re-think your cooking methods (that is if you have any).

I can't afford one but would love to cook on one. Here is the brochure.

http://www.aga-ranges.com/_image_lib/ga ... LRES_1.pdf