weather

..........................I'm wondering how much bending stress a house that old is going to take before the part that's settled decides to just tear away from the rest and drop into that very deep/steep draw.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

A lot more than what you're describing.

When Lake Michigan was up in the 80's, there were houses washing in all up and down the shoreline. We watched several go to their watery end.

What's amazing is how bad it's gotta be before it lets go. There were some that were hanging fully 1/4-1/3 out over the abyss, nothing under them but air, sagging like crazy, but they still hung on for years. Not that your house is "OK" (it's screwed), but the miracle of wood frame construction creates an amazing web of interrelated components that's remarkably resilient.

Full tilt breakaway catastrophic failure takes a long time.

Unreinforced masonry, OTOH, goes in about an hour. Take any part of the foundation out from under it, it's gone.

Someday builders and developers will figure out it's not a good idea to put things where the earth disappears periodically.

I had to look that one up, it's waaaay east of me, probably 6 hours east. I'm 30 miles (give or take) due south of Buffalo, just a few miles from the junction of Erie, Cattaraugus, and Chautauqua counties.

It's cold and snowing, but I have no idea whats on the ground. Sounds like a good excuse to call home.

Ah,

OK, I know the area. My Mom worked for Texas Instruments doing studies on Lake Erie for a few years and I had the opportunity to drive up there and visit in the middle of one winter ('74, I think). Big drifts across the Northway; they closed it down an hour after I made it to her place in Fredonia.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

OK, I know the area. My Mom worked for Texas Instruments doing studies on Lake Erie for a few years and I had the opportunity to drive up there and visit in the middle of one winter ('74, I think). Big drifts across the Northway; they closed it down an hour after I made it to her place in Fredonia.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

What kind of studies of Lake Erie Mike?

People around here are bitching about all the snow we got.

Hah!

They don't know what snow is!

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101213193127_IMGP4077.jpg

85.8 KB

I have to admit that Tigger's sexuality has always been a mystery to me. I mean, I get what's up with Bert and Ernie. But Tigger? Even as a child, I could never make up my mind.

Que sera, sera, Bain. Sometimes you can just over think stuff. I can honestly say I''ve never given any consideration to Tigger's sexuality or any of the others.

I just follow the little black lines wherever she draws them. Then provide praise for how she transforms mere plywood into 2D dioramas the neighborhood kids admire and adore and insist their parents bring them to see. She's still working on four other characters.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121403738_Start.jpg

42.06 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121404159_Halloween.jpg

74.65 KB

Mine is not to reason why, but to say "Yes Dear!" (Did you catch that, Phillip.)-

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

What kind of studies of Lake Erie Mike?

Hi,

They were measuring the affects of pollutants on the lake in order to determine if any of the pollution correction measures that had been implemented had worked.

Turns out they had; quite well.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The rain is coming down in mega-buckets and there's thunder a-rumbling here in Kenmore right now. My lights keep flickering so I suspect that any second a limb is going to come down on a line and knock out my power and then I'll be basically screwed for getting the report to the client on time.

Lifes a bitch.....then we die.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

They were measuring the affects of pollutants on the lake in order to determine if any of the pollution correction measures that had been implemented had worked.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Lake Erie is very shallow, and it's a flow through; it scrubs itself clean. Same as Ontario, although Ontario not as much because it's deep.

Lake Michigan, OTOH, not so much. It's a big cul-de-sac.

No, the storm of which Mike speaks was nasty. I've seen nothing like it in 18 years here in the Seattle area.

The rain was pelting our low-pitch, vaulted roof so much we couldn't sleep. Then huge pieces of hail started pelting the roof shortly thereafter. I looked outside but saw no hail!

The wind was actually blowing so hard, it was blowing something off the trees and the hits were occurring as frequently as if it was hail. I haven't been outside yet to see what was actually hitting the roof.

Then, lightning---lot's of it. But there was only one clap of thunder. The flashes of light were likely transformers just blowing all over the neighborhood and the entire area--lots of them!. Of course we lost power. I was preparing for no power for at least a few days after this one. I couldn't imagine the power crews able to work to restore so much damage so quickly.

But to my amazement, power was back on in just a few hours.

All is now calm. All is now right. Round 'yon Viiirgin . . . .

I just follow the little black lines wherever she draws them. Then provide praise for how she transforms mere plywood into 2D dioramas the neighborhood kids admire and adore and insist their parents bring them to see. She's still working on four other characters.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121403738_Start.jpg

42.06 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010121404159_Halloween.jpg

74.65 KB

Mine is not to reason why, but to say "Yes Dear!" (Did you catch that, Phillip.)-

I love front yard displays like that. It's an entirely American phenomenon, where folks display their creativity and make kids happy.

I like it.

Xmas/Holiday lights too. Twinkling colored lights on a cold, dark winter night makes everything better.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Lake Erie is very shallow, and it's a flow through; it scrubs itself clean. Same as Ontario, although Ontario not as much because it's deep.

Lake Michigan, OTOH, not so much. It's a big cul-de-sac.

What has helped too are the Zebra Mussels (although it tanked the island Walleye fishing).