Detached garage

fyrmnk

Hi all, forgive the dead horse since I know this has been brought up before, but what is the requirement for a single branch circuit to a detached garage? Is a disconnect means required in the detached garage? How about ground rods at the detached garage.

I can't find exact clarification in the Code Check.

Seems like I remember a single circuit (lights/outlets) is not required to have the separate ground system or disconnect but I can't remember.

Forgive my forgetfullness, it's been a long day and week.

Originally posted by fyrmnk

Hi all, forgive the dead horse since I know this has been brought up before, but what is the requirement for a single branch circuit to a detached garage? Is a disconnect means required in the detached garage? How about ground rods at the detached garage.

I can't find exact clarification in the Code Check.

Seems like I remember a single circuit (lights/outlets) is not required to have the separate ground system or disconnect but I can't remember.

Forgive my forgetfullness, it's been a long day and week.

You're remembering correctly, mostly.

The garage still has to have a disconnect but it can be a snap switch.

You don't need the grounding rod *if* the single branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor.

References are 225-36 and 250-32(a) in the '99 NEC. I'm sure someone here has the corresponding sections in the '02 version.

- Jim Katen, Oregon