Snow

I know some of you have been having a little bit of trouble this year with some unusual weather in your area. Don't let it get the best of you.

Most of this has had a chance to settle. Then we got another six or eight inches yesterday. The forecast for today is another six to twelve inches. Yawn. I was unable to inspect the condition of the (you name it) due to the snow cover.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011121103924_026.jpg

30.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011121103949_032.jpg

27.44 KB

That is a lot of snow!

Here it is now 4 degrees with a wind chill of -11. There are 6 inches of snow on the ground and more expected tonight. The State of IL just raied State taxs by 60% and my son has the stomach flue. Yet in Cuba it is 84 degrees and healthcare is free. Just my morning observations.

I know some of you have been having a little bit of trouble this year with some unusual weather in your area. Don't let it get the best of you.

Most of this has had a chance to settle. Then we got another six or eight inches yesterday. The forecast for today is another six to twelve inches. Yawn. I was unable to inspect the condition of the (you name it) due to the snow cover.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011121103924_026.jpg

30.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011121103949_032.jpg

27.44 KB

Ah,

That brings back some fond memories of growing up in the Harlem Valley; especially the winter of '68/'69(?).

It took four days of 24/7 snow removal for our tiny town's phalanx of snow removal equipment to finally clear all of the town's roads and get us back in school. They'd been unable to clear Rt44 west to Poughkeepsie, because the grade up over DeLaverne hill and the Sharon Turnpike pass was too steep and the snow too deep.

Before they got us back in school, some of us went up there with snowmobiles to see how bad it was and found the road was completely drifted over from Smithfield past Mabettsville almost to Millbrook; 12ft. deep across the highway in places and literally up to the eaves on some of the one-story homes. We stopped at about 8 to 10 homes along the way to dig out peoples' entrances and make sure they had food and water. It was pretty cool rolling up to some peoples' houses knowing that somewhere underneath the snow we'd just crossed there were vehicles but no way you could tell where they were because of how the wind had drifted the snow. Folks were pretty grateful and a few invited us in for hot cocoa and sandwiches. It took the entire day to make a round drip of about 18 miles and it felt like going on an arctic expedition.

It took about two weeks for the snow blowers and V-plows to reach Amenia (Pop. 1100) from the County Seat.

Believe it or not; I actually enjoyed snowed-in winters. Of course, back then I wasn't the one paying the bills. I seem to remember that my father would get as irritable as I imagine a wolverine with hemorrhoids gets, 'cuz he couldn't make any money.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

We have a quarter inch of ice all over everything today here. On top of 10-12" of snow. Trees and branches are down all over the place. When i got to my job today, the house had a BIG branch on the roof. What a mess, its making everything so much more difficult. Nobody bothers to even plow the driveways of the houses (vacant ones) that i have been doing. It even seems like its worse than last year. I wonder what February will be like?