double cylinder deadbolts

John Dirks Jr

I have for years, and clients have always been wide eyed when I have them before the door and ask what will you do in the case of a fire?

I don't word it as an action item that the seller must remedy (I just see something like that as "crossing the line" - "not cricket"), but I do have it on the summary as a safety concern, so it is in the buyers face. And, when I demonstrate the gravity of the situation to them I always encourage them to take care of it immediately.

There are a lot of things like dead bolts that the buyer needs to know, but I don't feel the seller is obligated to address. Similarly, Richmond used to have a lot of security bars over windows. About five months ago, a lady here actually lost her life because fo them, due to fire.

A Police Officer once told me that crooks are reluctant to break glass because the sound of breaking glass is an attention getter. ?maybe?

Of course nowadays it seems the crooks are pretty bold stealing AC units, copper pipes, and appliances. The last couple of stolen AC units I have seen were dismantled on site leaving the fan and cabinet and taking only the copper.

Mine says: (edited as necessary)

The front door operates acceptably however, the door has a deadbolt that requires a key to open from the inside. How are your children going to get out in an emergency? Generally accepted nationwide safety practices call for exit doors to NOT require a key to operate to allow for emergency exiting. I recommend the installation of a deadbolt lock that has a thumb turn on the inside portion of the lock.

I also recommend that you change all locks upon moving into the home. That way you are assured that no one else has a key to your house. You should also change the code on the keypad for the garage door.

I point it out on all exterior doors, not just the required exit doors. The confusion of a fire is all too real and deadly even if there is another acceptable door a few feet away.

Do you write up double cylinder deadbolt locks that are on doors considered for egress?

Which leads me to ask, is there ever an acceptable use for double cylinder deadbolts on a home?

I can't think of any that would not lead to an unsafe situation.

Which leads me to ask, is there ever an acceptable use for double cylinder deadbolts on a home?

I can't think of any that would not lead to an unsafe situation.

Only in your grow room. [:-monkeyd

Talk about a likely place for a fire! Especially with 20,000 watts of lights spliced into a single 15 amp circuit!

Jim