Service size versus meter size

Erby

It's my understanding that round meter bases are 60 amp.

Does the markings on the meter in the picture say something different.

I was told that service size depends on the smallest of three factors:

1. Wire size

2. Meter size

3. Main Breaker size

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011128233740_A47.jpg

71.37 KB

A later generation of meter bases were rated at 100 amps.

The meter in your pic is CL200. I think that means 200 amp continuous load.

1. Wire size

2. Meter size

3. Main Breaker size

I've always heard/read that the meter itself should not be used in determining the size of the service.

As Bill pointed out, some were rated at 100 amps. The key issue is the rating of the jaws that the meter fits into. If they regularly carry too much current, they can heat up and lose their tight grip.

Bill is right about the meter. It's a class 200 model that's rated for a 200-amp service. Nothing wrong with using it on a slightly smaller service.

1. Wire size

2. Meter size

3. Main Breaker size

I don't believe that the meter size has much to do with it -- though mismatches can cause inaccurate metering and, in extreme cases can damage the meter.

The meter base is more important. That round base might be ok for a 100-amp service, but nothing more. It can't properly accommodate anything larger than #4 copper SECs.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Erby,

I've never seen a round meter wired into a 200-amp service, but I see them connected to updated, 100-amp services fairly often. I spoke to someone at Kentucky Utilities about this several years ago. Their position is that if the #6 wire has been replaced from the pole and into the house, round meter bases are acceptable for 100-ampere services.

Erby,

I've never seen a round meter wired into a 200-amp service, but I see them connected to updated, 100-amp services fairly often. I spoke to someone at Kentucky Utilities about this several years ago. Their position is that if the #6 wire has been replaced from the pole and into the house, round meter bases are acceptable for 100-ampere services.

Ditto that. I often see the round base meter can on 100 amp service, but it is invariably an older home with an updated (probably from an original 60 amp fuse box) to 100 amp service.

John, don't change that avatar. You've got the look there of the lead character in the "Walking Dead" TV series. He's a Highway Patrol type cop that goes around the Eastern States saving lives by blasting zombies. Perfect analogy. [:)]

Erby,

Ditto that. I often see the round base meter can on 100 amp service, but it is invariably an older home with an updated (probably from an original 60 amp fuse box) to 100 amp service.

John, don't change that avatar. You've got the look there of the lead character in the "Walking Dead" TV series. He's a Highway Patrol type cop that goes around the Eastern States saving lives by blasting zombies. Perfect analogy. [:)]

Thanks, John. The credit for the photo goes to the person who took it, and I actually have it on my web-site. Let's hope it doesn't frighten away the meek at heart.

Originally posted by Bain

At the risk of a highjacked thread, The Walking Dead is the best new show of the year IMO. If you boys have not seen it, you should. Unless you don'y like zombie themed shows, then you may want to skip it.