Certified- Move in or something like that...

I was browsing Eric from Fla's web site and noticed he's promoting that silly Certified program.

My question; has anyone here actually inspected a house that was 'certified' and what were your findings?

Did you find a problem and what was the outcome?

It's not so popular here in NJ (at last I have never seen a house with a sign); have you Neal or Steve?

I did HIs on two homes that had the I-Nachi Pre-Inspection/Certified whatever sign. Copy of report was laying in the home as well.

Two different HIs had done the inspections and both were 'fluff' inspections/reports.

Many common items we almost always see in the D/FW market were not noted that "were" evident at the respective properties.

But I can assure you that those guys were proud of their reports.

It's a Home Inspection commissioned by the seller prior to placing the house on the market. It's based on the assumption that all home inspections are the same so it doesn't matter which particular inspector you hire, the result will be the same.

At least that's what the originators of this stinking crap want the buyers to believe.

Marc

It's a Home Inspection commissioned by the seller prior to placing the house on the market. It's based on the assumption that all home inspections are the same so it doesn't matter which particular inspector you hire, the result will be the same.

At least that's what the originators of this stinking crap want the buyers to believe.

Marc

Don't hold back, Marc. Tell us what you really think. [;)]

OK, I don't think I'll even go over to find out. I get it. Another humiliation to be borne by this home inspector.........

Marc basically nailed it. It's another sales pitch, masquerading as information.

I can't think of a better way to get in trouble than spin 3rd party reports out there for buyers I've never met.

It's certainly okay for a seller to have a pre-listing inspection performed. What they don't get, though, is that having the report in plain sight on a table when I walk through the door, is like slapping me across the mug with a black glove. Not that I wouldn't have done my best, anyhow, but still . . .

And yes, I realize this says something about my personality that may not be too cool.

Around here most sellers and realtors are of the mind set of not wanting to know so they don't have to disclose anything. I may do 2 - 3 prelisting inspections a year, but I sure don't "certify" anything. My opinion of the people who want a prelisting inspections are that they are very honest and don't want to sell anything that is broken.

Yea, Nick comes up with some shit!

I must admit, I just recently rejoined NACHI for the sole purpose of continuing education credits that I can get over the internet.

If "southern NJ" ASHI meetings weren't 84.9 miles away I'd consider rejoining them as well. 169 miles for 2CE's, I don't think so.

You're looking at it all wrong, Roy. It's a 169 miles for the opportunity to get to know and discuss stuff with other home inspectors. And I'd bet that if you took FULL advantage of it, you'd get a lot out of it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Going to the class and leaving - well, that ain't worth the drive.

You're looking at it all wrong, Roy. It's a 169 miles for the opportunity to get to know and discuss stuff with other home inspectors. And I'd bet that if you took FULL advantage of it, you'd get a lot out of it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Going to the class and leaving - well, that ain't worth the drive.

Erby brings up a good point! Heck, I get more from meeting other folks and learning from them than about 90% of the educational sessions I attend!

A good example was this past week at Inspection World in Atlanta! I was able to pick up a few tips from an inspector in Arizona and from a vendor and now I have streamlined a few things with my reports and will add a new service to my business that I can see adding to the bottom line when it is all said and done with.