Mike Holmes and Stab-lok

randynavarro

I didn't realize I was supposed to disassemble the house during an inspection. It's amazing I'm still in business. I better get busy changing my game plan to meet the expectations of the folks who watch the show.

A prospect called me for a quote a few weeks ago and asked if I used thermal imaging during my inspections. I explained that I currently do not have the equipment. I added that a thermal inspection would be a separate procedure which is not included with a standard home inspection. She then asked me if I could discount my fee because "Mike Holmes uses those cameras and he said it should be part of an inspection." Have any of you guys seen that episode? I would love to see what his SOP consists of. What's next, ground penetrating radar?

Tell her that's fine except that Mike Holmes is not a real home inspector.

Point out that the budget for what he does is funded by a television network, not by Holmes' pocketbook, and that you'll be very happy to use an infrared camera if His Majesty, Mr. Holmes, wants to donate one to your company for your use.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

She's got her facts wrong. A Mike Holmes home inspection is done by a contractor working for Mike's new company, for a price close to double the going rate (Guelph/Toronto, Ontario). Thermal imagery is optional and costs extra.

So, sure, he may have said every home inspection should include IR, but he did not say, "we do this for you for free".

He also said the HI should run around town and pull all the permits that were ever issued on the property. Well, where I work, that's the realtor's job, for which they are nicely reimbursed. Again, this is not something Mike will do for free.

So the best defense is a good offense. Have your rebuttal ready.

Mike Holmes does not do inspections. He hires inspectors. Few established inspector are going to sign up to work for him. So he has a crew of rookies, some with engineering and construction backgrounds, but new to home inspection, and word is, that some clients have been sadly disappointing.