Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Lamb

Clothes Dryer Fire - Close to home

Recommended Posts

Last night, my daughter spent the night at a friends. Their clothes dryer caught fire in the basement. Mostly everyone was sleeping except for the Mom who was doing the laundry. They had a smoke detector in the laundry room so everyone got out and the fire dept. got there quick enough to keep the fire damage to a minimum. The firemen said it was a very close call.

It looks like this fire started at the blower motor. Thank God for smoke detectors and the people who use them. This fire was not tragic but I can’t help thinking that I could have been picking up a dead little girl this morning.

I asked if I could take pictures. When I was snapping shots, the mom said, "I think the clothes are dry."

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011130202352_GEDC0663_jpg.jpg

84.47 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011130202410_GEDC0664_jpg.jpg

88.15 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011130202425_GEDC0665_jpg.jpg

66.96 KB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most importantly, I'm glad your daughter and everybody else are okay. I probably read it here, but that happens +/- 15,000 times a year in the States, alone. The tumbler looks pretty new, which is scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stripped mine to the drum last weekend and pulled unbeleivable amonts of lint off the bottom of the machine, the motor housing, the blower housing, and scariest of all, the gas valve and burner assembly.

My had wife dried a chenille duvet cover that took several cycles and she emptied the lint trap twice for each. I tossed in a load the next day and could smell the smoke as soon as I turned the thing on.

I'm glad it was just a load of laundry that lost its life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of folks think this stuff isn't serious. This shows us otherwise.

Thank God nothing more than the dryer got burnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I write up corrugated vent connectors on the back of dryers daily as "Dangerous dryer duct connectors." I've been doing it ever since CPSC first sent out an alert about them in 1998. You'd think by now they'd get it but realtors still constantly scoff about it when I stick that comment in a report.

Real glad nobody was hurt.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Boyscouts remember?

I have a friend who makes fire starters out out dryer lint and wax. She pours the mix into cardboard egg cartons. Just break one off and light it. They work great in the wood stove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...