Tubing Material

Goodhome

During an inspection, I came across a tubing material for an in floor hot water heating installation that I was curious about. I couldn't get close enough to touch it, so I was not 100% sure what it was. The boiler was installed a year ago, but the installation had been there for a while. It was made by Shaw Flexible Tubes LTd, but no date.

I think it was polyethylene, not pex. As you can see in the pic, there was serious corrosion. Is anyone familiar with what it could be based on the pic?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201124192537_Copper%20Corrosion%20on%20infloor%20heating.jpg

65.23 KB

Yes, that is right, flex tube over hose clamps. I don't see a lot of poly that is black, mostly grey. But then again I am in Vancouver Canada. Weird about the Shaw Flexible tubes... No info, but that is what is said on the tubes from a different angle.

Thanks for your help Rob

I see quite a bit of HDPE (high density polyethylene) used for hydronic snow/ice melting systems. I also see it in commercial greenhouses. I've heard/read it was being used for in-floor radiant heating in Canada, but never seen it for that purpose here.

I don't know of anything that shows durability is a concern. It's used for ground loops in geothermal heating/cooling. I've read that the heat conductivity isn't as good as other products.