wood foundation

Jerry Lozier

Inspection today on a 2500'; 1997 home, according to the buyer it has a crawlspace and a wood foundation. I've only seen one about 4 years ago and it had treated wood sitting in water cause of poor drainage and way lacking on ventilation. No visible WDI

Outside of extensive probing, WDO concerns, moisture problems; or obvious settling How would you write it up? exempt all foundation earth to wood?

The last one I inspected was the first, out of several inspected, to actually have some real problems. I usually lean heavy, in my writing, toward the real potential for ongoing moisture intrusion and foundation component deterioration - essentially emphasizing the "buyer beware" warnings.

I suggest that my clients do extensive internet searches regarding the system to be certain that they are both familiar and comfortable with the system and its potential risks.

All that being said, those foundations have always inspected much better than I expected.

Hi Jerry,

Go to the menu bar above, pass your cursor over "library" and then choose "file directory" from the sub-menu. Once you get to the directory, scroll to Structural and then choose "Construction Techniques" and then scroll the the Southern Pine Council's Permanent Wood Foundation Guide and download it to your computer.

Besides making you really smart about wood foundations, if memory serves I think there's an inspection checklist for wood foundations in that.

There's nothing wrong with a properly built permanent wood foundation. There are some places where they've been in the ground for hundreds of years.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

There's nothing wrong with a properly built permanent wood foundation. There are some places where they've been in the ground for hundreds of years.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Agreed. They just kinda defy conventional wisdom. But, the failure I observed was isolated and the result of improper installation - a no brainer.

Hi Jerry,

Go to the menu bar above, pass your cursor over "library" and then choose "file directory" from the sub-menu. Once you get to the directory, scroll to Structural and then choose "Construction Techniques" and then scroll the the Southern Pine Council's Permanent Wood Foundation Guide and download it to your computer.

Besides making you really smart about wood foundations, if memory serves I think there's an inspection checklist for wood foundations in that.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks I'll do that, thanks. did go back through old PWF posts, though

heres what client called a PWF:

Actually was like a pole barn, (6) 6x6 treated each side, sunk 4' into ground, 6x6 posts were in 16" metal culvert in hole filled with concrete to 6" above grade, posts cut off about 2' above grade with 6x12 lambeam around perimeter connecting them all. Engineered joists w/ hangers, then another lambeam down the center with about 8 posts and concrete pads....... Only earth to wood was treated plywood skirting, treated girt just above grade as a skirting nailer.... pretty cool, and it actually had good drainage away from the home (imagine that)

sorry pics on other computer

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

That's a column or post foundation. Go to library and click on 'File Downloads' and then scroll down to FM 5-426, put a whole lot of paper in your printer and print that baby off. You'll find all sorts of good stuff on that construction technique in that manual.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike