What is this?

Bain

Paul,

I told my buyers I would look into the situation and get back to them by tomorrow. The house was built by a reputable company, and the inspection sticker---Yes, I know what you're thinking. : )---is in plain view, so logic suggests the seemingly superfluous tubing is there for a reason.

John

It seems that the ball valve w/drain was added after installation. Isn't that a repair coupling after the elbow above the tank?

The cap was removed from the valve's drain to connect the tubing. I would think water would be discharging continuously.

We answer a lot of questions during an inspection. The one I can't always answer is "Why the hell did someone do that?"

This house was on a slab. The second gate valve is the main shut-off for the house. The water heater was on the second floor, and the end of the exterior T-P tubing was totally dry. Though I've never seen one this small, I wondered if the fitting beneath the ball valve was some sort of pressure regulator that discharged excess water down the T-P tubing. With the valve open and the tubing dry, little else makes sense.

Bill. I, too, often answer, "No clue," when asked why a tradesperson would make a bonehead move. But still, someone went to a lot of effort to configure this water heater. It makes me wonder---what was he or she trying to accomplish?

I have these valves on my air lines. When the valve is open, the drain is closed. When the valve is closed the drain is open.

I shut the valve at night and the air bleeds out of the lines through the drain. It helps keep moisture in the air lines at a minimum.

"Galvanized handle with vinyl grip. Shipped with tee and lever handles. 200 PSI water or air. Non-pressure side of valve is drained automatically. Use as a stop and drain valve for water. For air line use to relieve pressure from an air tool when the val ve is closed. Threaded ends comply with ANSI B1.20.1. -

Factory: B & K Model: 107014 UPC Code: 032888070141"

Hi,

4-year old house. Chances are the plumber who did the work is still around. If my curiosity gets the best of me, I usually track the plumbers down, call them and ask them what the hell they were thinking of. If it doesn't, I usually recommend the buyer do the same, and then, if the plumber can't satisfy him/her that it was okay to do, have it converted back to a standard configuration.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mystery solved. I phoned the realtor this morning to see if any improvements had been mentioned on the seller's disclosure. Turns out the seller had installed a sink for her in-home hair salon in one of the lower-level rooms. Everything had been removed and sealed--hopefully that includes the drain line and vent if one ever existed--and the wall had been patched leaving no trace. The pressure-relief tubing had been transformed into a supply-pipe!!!! Thanks to me, the sellers are now incensed that they have to re-remove the drywall to make certain the T-P tubing doesn't terminate at a shut-off valve, which of course shouldn't have been enclosed in the first place. I always try to give tradespeople the benefit of the doubt, but what kind of numbskull could have in good conscious made this modification?

John

Bain,

I've seen something similar to this a couple of times out in the country around here when there is another level above the level the water heater is on.

Their logic is that they use the TPR drain pipe,running off to a floor drain or wherever, to drain the supply pipe whenever they need to do so.

Open the valve, the water runs out into the TPR drain pipe and off to the discharge, or so their theory goes.

Erby,

How dare you refer to this wondrous urban sprawl called Lexington as out in the country! [^]

No, I won't be in attendance at the KREIA conference. I have some profound conflicts with how a couple of the members conduct themselves. I certainly hope you and I cross paths one day, however.

Best,

John

John,

Every barrel has bad apples. Every message board has idiots. Every association has (*&^%$ (*&^%$#@ (insert your own phrase here).

I've just learned to separate the wheat from the chaff, the gold from the soils, and I don't let the above stop me from getting good education and enjoying life.

http://www.kreia.org/conferenceinfo.html . Click on the "Conference Agenda" and look to the bottom of the second page for the presenters. You'll be missing some good stuff just because a couple of members conduct themselves badly.