Magical mystery fixture

rbaake

Thanks Jim, what I don't understand is the extension on the left?

It provides no access to the drain. It obviously leaked at one time. Why not replace the elbow instead of soldering on the "extension"? ...could it be the handy homeowner noticed the leak and made repairs? No, that never happens.

The photos a little deceiving, the plumbing supply did not need to be lowered to clear the support beam.

Thanks Jim, what I don't understand is the extension on the left?

It provides no access to the drain. It obviously leaked at one time. Why not replace the elbow instead of soldering on the "extension"? ...could it be the handy homeowner noticed the leak and made repairs? No, that never happens.

The photos a little deceiving, the plumbing supply did not need to be lowered to clear the support beam.

I see what you mean, but the one on the left is how I see them done all most of the time. I don't know why they put the little extra nipple in there but they do; I've bumped into the damn things often enough that I've got permanent bruises on my back to prove it