Watts valve available for electric water heater?

gpdewitt

I saw many electric water heaters in an apartment building installed in hall closets with no TPR valve at all (tick, tick, tick). I doubt the new owner will shell out for plumbing the valves to the outside of the building, as required.

Are there Watts or other pressure sensing valves designed to cut off electricity to a water heater?

I doubt the new owner will shell out for plumbing the valves to the outside of the building, as required.

So what? You've identified the defect - There aren't any temperature and pressure relief (TPR) valves on the water heaters - now all you're required to do is tell 'em why that's a bad thing - If a water heater without a TPR valve overheats it could explode and kill someone - and what to do about it - Have a licensed plumber install TPR valves on these water heaters and ensure they're configured in accordance with current code requirements.

Anything beyond that isn't your call and recommending that the owner jerry-rig some kind of half measure, when a properly installed and functioning TPR valve is the standard, is playing with fire.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I understand the dangers and responsibilities.

I also understand there are valves to shut off gas to a water heater in the event it overheats. My question was:

Is there an equivalent valve for electric water heaters, designed to cut off the electricity if it overheats?

Perhaps I clouded the issue with too much situational info.

And I understood the question perfectly.

I'm certain that there probably are such devices out there; for all I know, Watts probably makes a version.

Had you used the question without context, I wouldn't have said a thing; but one infers from the way that you phrased the question and your comment about the new owner that if you knew of such a device you'd probably recommend it to that person.

IMO, if you would do that, it would be a gross error in judgment; like recommending someone use non aviation grade aluminum to build an aircraft.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Watts does not have a version, at least that I could find.

On further research, I found this:

This water heater is equipped with a high limit control

switch that is designed to shut off the power to the

elements if the water temperature exceeds170°F

at: http://www.americanwaterheater.com/support/manuals/energysmart.pdf

So what I had in mind is built in, at least in this water heater.

Still need a pressure relief valve and pipe properly routed.