HOW TO - Repair leaky drain on water heater.

Erby

That is so funny and yet so dangerous for small kids in the house.

How so?

Marc

That thing is just begging to be squeezed. I can easily see a two year old going over and pushing the handle down and spraying hot water all over himself; or a mean older sibling telling a younger child to do it. It just seems very dangerous and unnecessary.

I've been going to the Mcd's drive thru most mornings for a while now. When I get to the window to pay I notice 2 things everytime;

1) the plastic pan under the pressure relief valve overflowing and running across the tile floor.

2) the pile of boxes stacked in front of the ele panel that says "store nothing in front of these panels"

DUH!

It's always dumb, but it's only dangerous if the drain valve is open. It wasn't.

Owner said he put it on there a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving cause the valve was leaking and then just forgot about it. He knew I'd found it because I did the same thing Kurt did when I first saw it. The owner came in to see why I was laughing.

That is so funny and yet so dangerous for small kids in the house.

How so?

Marc

That thing is just begging to be squeezed. I can easily see a two year old going over and pushing the handle down and spraying hot water all over himself; or a mean older sibling telling a younger child to do it. It just seems very dangerous and unnecessary.

Yeah, I guess so, because it's gas powered. I drew some water off my own electric water heater tank for an experiment on roof cleaning a few months back and the water was only slightly warm. Nothing wrong with the lower element or thermostat either.

Marc