Shower light fixture

John Kogel

I can't speak for your CA codes, but in the US, that would probably be ok.

The cite is at 410.10 and it says, (among other things) "Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray."

The fixture in your picture is probably listed for damp locations, but not wet locations. Since it isn't subject to shower spray, it's probably fine.

Thanks for that. This luminaire is lacking in markings, so worst case, I've forced somebody to double check it.

Yeah, you probably won't find a marking on it.

One other thing, even if the fixture is listed for a damp or wet location, the manufacturer might specifiy something like, "Not for use above showers or bathtubs" in the instructions.

It looks like a $4 lampholder with globe; are those even rated for anything?

I think the price is up to $5 now.

Believe it or not, they almost always do carry a UL listing. Though the labeling tends to be hit & miss. You might ask them about that when you return to China.

Jim Katen, Oregon

I don't recognize the fixture either. But for the record, I've seen some of the most screwed-up electrical stuff ever in homes I knew belonged to electricians.

How true. I had an inspection on a nice log cabin last week. The seller was a master electrician and contractor. Problem #1: No system ground. Not even in the main service panel. Bonded neutrals and branch circuit grounds. Problem #2: Bonded sub-panel, again without a system ground.

It looks like a $4 lampholder with globe; are those even rated for anything?

It's a poor picture, but I believe it's a higher quality light. The globe is heavy glass with I assume a bulb inside. I applied reasonable counter-clockwise force on it with 2 hands, couldn't budge the globe.

It's a poor picture, but I believe it's a higher quality light. The globe is heavy glass with I assume a bulb inside. I applied reasonable counter-clockwise force on it with 2 hands, couldn't budge the globe.

Just out of curiosity, if you couldn't budge the globe and there (presumably) were no obvious connectors/fasteners, how is the homeowner going to replace the bulb when it goes? (I hate getting questions like this from clients, because I always feel that my answer is inadequate and unhelpful.)

Steve