Vintage Loose-fill attic Insulation

mgbinspect

I see this insulation, now and then in the attics of old homes. This home is 1942. I've alway assumed it's cellulose, but would hate to be wrong. Anyone got a bead on this stuff? I know it's not vermiculite or fiberglass. I'd like to finally nail this one down for my future reports. [:-magnify

Click to Enlarge
tn_201138142313_cellulose.jpg

46.4 KB

balsam wool

tree bark

brown stuff

sometimes found mixed with mineral wool or slag

not very tasty

Is it correct then to call it "cellulose"? I think so.

The reddish-brown shredded wood, I call "shredded wood", as it appears to be less thoroughly processed than what I've been calling "cellulose".

I sometimes see "sawdust" that looks like it came straight from the mill. That stuff will burn, I'm sure.

What I call "Rock wool" would be predominantly mineral based, and looks like gray fiberglass.

balsam wool

tree bark

brown stuff

not very tasty

Is it correct then to call it "cellulose"? I think so.

The reddish-brown shredded wood, I call "shredded wood", as it appears to be less thoroughly processed than what I've been calling "cellulose".

I sometimes see "sawdust" that looks like it came straight from the mill. That stuff will burn, I'm sure.

What I call "Rock wool" would be predominantly mineral based, and looks like gray fiberglass.

But, Balsam Wool has such a nice ring to it -kinda like the difference between a statin and Lipitor. ;-)

balsam wool

tree bark

brown stuff

not very tasty

Yes, John has Rockwool right. It's rather like shredded angel hair that has a lot of gray in it, as if it's been used to polish silver. It always looks exactly the same.

But, then I realize that you'd have to be an old fart to know what angel hair is. I could go on to explain how it was the fine white stuff that was on the angel on the tip top of your Christmas tree when you were a kid, but still you'd have to be an old fart. So, I may not be able to help you, Mark, unless of course you already happen to be an old fart. [:-tophat]

Yes, John has Rockwool right. It's rather like shredded angel hair that has a lot of gray in it, as if it's been used to polish silver. It always looks exactly the same.

But, then I realize that you'd have to be an old fart to know what angel hair is. I could go on to explain how it was the fine white stuff that was on the angel on the tip top of your Christmas tree when you were a kid, but still you'd have to be an old fart. So, I may not be able to help you, Mark, unless of course you already happen to be an old fart. [:-tophat]

Anybody put the fake snow on Christmas trees in the 50s and 60s? It was a mix of mica and asbestos!

Anybody put the fake snow on tChristmas trees in the 50s and 60s? It was a mix of mica and asbestos!

Nice!

I'm doomed...

As far as my drop-down menu goes, maybe I could have a statement that says, "Your guess is as good as mine, but whatever it is, there's not enough of it. And, since it probably contains something bad for you, it's best to add more insulation." [:D]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That can be a decaying wood. It will always depend on the texture. Better ask an expert about it so that you will be sure.

If an inspector can't tell the difference between insulation and, "a decaying wood" then he best find another job.

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like someone that likes to cry wolf and get people all excited due to lack of knowledge.

That can be a decaying wood. It will always depend on the texture. Better ask an expert about it so that you will be sure.

If an inspector can't tell the difference between insulation and, "a decaying wood" then he best find another job.

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like someone that likes to cry wolf and get people all excited due to lack of knowledge.

Did I come in with guns ablazin as bad as this one?

Marc

Did I come in with guns ablazin as bad as this one?

Marc

Apologies and Mea Culpa . . . . .