For the second time in my inglorious career . . .

. . . a woman started crying tonight while I was summing up the house she was buying. At least her fiance was there to tend to her. The first time, I was alone in the house with a 20-something, and wanted to hug her, but thought better of it. I took one step toward her, but then in my head, I heard her voice saying to someone else, "First he trashed my f**king house, and then he molested me . . . "

Funny that this topic got brought up. Last week I had two crying wives. I was fortunate that through the tears and emotions they realized I was really helping them out. I received a hug from both after the dust settled a bit. So many bank owned homes that need work and the first time buyers just don't understand the cost sometimes.

Funny that this topic got brought up. Last week I had two crying wives. I was fortunate that through the tears and emotions they realized I was really helping them out. I received a hug from both after the dust settled a bit. So many bank owned homes that need work and the first time buyers just don't understand the cost sometimes.

Gospel.

If I have one more Realtor pull some number random low number out of thin air in my presence, I might come unglued.

There must be something about the magic number of $500. I don't know why, but that seems the default answer to the "How much?" question.

They are great about that aren't they. Either that or trying to explain how easy it is to divert water away from the foundation!(just an example for a wet crawl space or basement) You just have to put those little extension thingy's on the downspouts. Always works!;) I always just shake my head and when I have a quiet moment with my client, I bring out the real explanation/suggestions. I know over the years, I have had to tell more than one realazoid to go have a seat and let me work with MY clients.

It's probably good that you heard that inner voice, John. It's a shame you have to hold back on basic human emotions, but there are some strange and unpredictable people out there. A few years ago, a local locksmith found that out the hard way.

This locksmith was called to a house to do some work. The woman homeowner was there at the time. It was summer and he was wearing shorts. She claimed that he exposed himself to her by, uh, letting his manhood hang out of the leg of his shorts. She filed charges. It went to trial - a very public jury trial. It was top of the fold front page news in the local section of the newspaper.

He claimed that he didn't expose himself to her, that what she saw was a fold of skin. She swore that he did it on purpose and it wasn't a fold of skin. After the locksmith showed unbelievable bravery, he was aquitted by the jury. What action did he take that required so much bravery? He had his doctor testify that his penis is so small, it couldn't have possibly have extended out the leg of his shorts. Front page news.

I'm not making this up.

It's all in the delivery, John. [:-eyebrow

I actually stopped fifteen minutes into an inspection, one time to tell a young lady, "As a father of five kids - three girls - I've got to tell you: I hate to take your money today. It's already becoming obvious that this house is perfect for someone with DEEP pockets. The price is great! But, you can't afford to own this house. It will eat you alive. Why don't we call it a day and please call me again when you've found something better."

The Realtor practically dropped to her knees, with prayer hands out in front of her, as she mimed, 'Thank you!" (She'd apparently been trying to tell the young lady the same thing.) [:-thumbu]

The young lady didn't cry, walked from the deal, and did call again. [:-spin]

That's not to say I haven't seen a few tears over the years as a result of inspections, but that's another story. [:-cry]

It's all in the delivery, John. [:-eyebrow

I actually stopped fifteen minutes into an inspection, one time to tell a young lady, "As a father of five kids - three girls - I've got to tell you: I hate to take your money today. It's already becoming obvious that this house is perfect for someone with DEEP pockets. The price is great! But, you can't afford to own this house. It will eat you alive. Why don't we call it a day and please call me again when you've found something better."

The Realtor practically dropped to her knees, with prayer hands out in front of her, as she mimed, 'Thank you!" (She'd apparently been trying to tell the young lady the same thing.) [:-thumbu]

The young lady didn't cry, walked from the deal, and did call again. [:-spin]

That's not to say I haven't seen a few tears over the years as a result of inspections, but that's another story. [:-cry]

I did that a few times but then people get upset at me because the buyer needs an inspection report in Louisiana in order to legally walk away from the Agreement to Purchase contract.

Marc

That's pretty much the rule here. It's been about four years ago. Maybe they hadn't written one yet. It was an abandoned 100 plus year old home on some property in really rough shape - salvageable, but not for what she was bringing.

Truth be told, with all the above facts in hand, I just wasn't in the mood to write 'War and Peace' for nothing.