It would take a day or two or ....

I'm a bit confused with the taxes. Listed at 19 million but appraised at only 5+ million. The tax amount at 137K seems huge for the appraised value. What's up with that?

Welcome to Texas real estate. We don't have personal income tax but virtually everything at the city, county, and school level are supported from real estate taxes. 137K would be about right on $5 million property.

Anyone who would agree to check that place out for a buyer has rocks in his head.

Why do you think that?

In my experience, a buyer isn't gonna want to pay someone a fair price for checking out that behemoth, so one would be assuming a ton of liability for not enough dough.

Mikey's fee schedule is about right, but who's gonna pay one of us 19K for an inspection? And if someone DID pay 19K, they're pretty much gonna expect perfection, which is okay, but it looks like the basement's finished, so there's lots that couldn't be seen.

Anyone who would agree to check that place out for a buyer has rocks in his head.

Why do you think that?

In my experience, a buyer isn't gonna want to pay someone a fair price for checking out that behemoth, so one would be assuming a ton of liability for not enough dough.

Mikey's fee schedule is about right, but who's gonna pay one of us 19K for an inspection? And if someone DID pay 19K, they're pretty much gonna expect perfection, which is okay, but it looks like the basement's finished, so there's lots that couldn't be seen.

If it's wood framed, it's just like everything else we do, just on a different scale. And a top notch HI is still the best 'first responder'', not an engineer.

Marc

Why do you think that?

I've done a couple Gilded Age palaces that were near that size. Some larger, if you consider the outbuildings. The inspections are usually arranged by lawyers or the family business manager. The cost of the inspection was never an issue. There's rarely any real interaction with the actual buyers. It's very much like doing commercial building inspections.

Why do you think that?

I've done a couple Gilded Age palaces that were near that size. Some larger, if you consider the outbuildings. The inspections are usually arranged by lawyers or the family business manager. The cost of the inspection was never an issue. There's rarely any real interaction with the actual buyers. It's very much like doing commercial building inspections.

It isn't so much the size. This morning, I signed on to check out a 20,000 sq. ft. office building. But with residential, the work is oftentimes so shoddy, and if the yuck is covered with drywall, there's lots of exposure. I just don't think anyone would want to pay what I'd feel I'd have to charge.

My largest home so far to inspect was 26,000sf...!! It took 3 days and the owners provided me with a fine lunch every day and a few snacks to go along with it. My fee was .11 a square foot and I completed most of the report on site during the inspection. It really was a nice place with very few problems. The master bath on that home was 2,500 sf!

I would rather inspect a large home any day over a small one.

My experience has shown me that the larger homes are usually in better condition, easier to inspect and the buyers do not nitpick every little thing.