Hydrostatic Pressure Crack?

Ben H

Late 80's construction. Thats what I thought too Darren, it's awful high up on the wall. I know the establish shot sucks, but the stepped foundation wall was about 6ft or so at this point.

If not pressure, what would cause the bow/crack in a wall like this? It was big, close to 1/4 at the widest point.

The more I think about it, impact seems the most logical thing.

I just don't see a crack at grade being caused by water heaving on the foundation.

I suppose it could, but I've never seen it.

Final, I'd have to eyeball the thing all the way down the line, even if I had to move stuff. It's the only way to know anything for sure.

When I say this basement was packed, I mean PACKED. Only a small path to the door next to the crack. If that door had not beer there, it would have been covered up to.

I couldn't get a good look at the other side because of the very low deck mounted off the back of the house.

The last deck I build with permits (2008) the AHJ required 24" footer, but I think the frost line is 18". I'm sure Bain or Erby will correct me if not.....it's still early right now. [;)]