Masonry chimney chase in attic supported 2x4's??

I agree with Jim; the whole thing is stupid. No drainage plane and whoever flashed that to the roofline should have his thumbs crushed; then the work would match his capabilities. Take it down. Build another chase using pressure-treated lumber and treated plywood. Incorporate a cricket into it; wrap it with a couple layers of 60-minute paper, a layer of drainage mat wrap, some lath and cover the whole shebang with a layer of 3-coat stucco. Put a real cap on it next time, one that's custome made to incorporate the top of a stucco wall assembly and extends farther than three inches below the lip and flash the thing properly at the chase-to-roof point.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Jim; the whole thing is stupid. No drainage plane and whoever flashed that to the roofline should have his thumbs crushed; then the work would match his capabilities. Take it down. Build another chase using pressure-treated lumber and treated plywood. Incorporate a cricket into it; wrap it with a couple layers of 60-minute paper, a layer of drainage mat wrap, some lath and cover the whole shebang with a layer of 3-coat stucco. Put a real cap on it next time, one that's custome made to incorporate the top of a stucco wall assembly and extends farther than three inches below the lip and flash the thing properly at the chase-to-roof point.

Why bother? Why not just run the two vents through the roof to the proper height and flash them with standard kit flashings?

Does the house really need a fake chimney to look good?

Dunno about you, My Friend, but I prefer the look of a chase to a couple of tubes coming up out of the roof that look like they belong on the deck of a ship.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The pressure is always on here in Richmond, being so close to Williamsburg, to build stuff that looks old - Colonial. So, builders, being cheap, often do the wood framed brick veneered chases with metal flashed and capped chases to resemble an old Colonial chimney. They perform just fine. (Of course, they're not sitting on a wood framed wall, which is one of the original concerns of this thread.)

And, I suppose the REAL bottom line here is that this false chimney COULD have been just fine and outlasted us all, if it was properly laid up with flashing everywhere appropriate.

Unfortunately, it seems that everyone that had a part in the construction and inspection process dropped the ball, or worse yet looked the other way on this one, and now it's a problem.

I wonder if the local building department could be pressured to become an advocate in getting this disaster addressed? Surely, the whole gang involved in constructing it is still around and applying for building permits.

I really want to thank everybody for their input! This has been a frustrating situation but it is great to hear your unbiased opinions. I am very impressed with the responses and sincerely appreciate your help with this. After much consideration, I believe we have decided to take the chimney down. [:-weepn] Maybe someday down the line we may construct a suitable chase. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Dunno about you, My Friend, but I prefer the look of a chase to a couple of tubes coming up out of the roof that look like they belong on the deck of a ship.

That's where you & I differ. I'd rather seen honest tubes than a fake chimney.

But then I also happen to believe that all women look better without makeup . . .

But then I also happen to believe that all women look better without makeup . . .

I'll second that. Makup is a definite turnoff. [:-thumbu]

Well, if I had a point, it might have been that imagining women to be simple, honest, and holding propriety is imagining.

Or, comparing women to anything other than themselves violates the primary rule of engagement.

And to elaborate, I've never encountered a house that was needy, jealous, and manipulative.

Well, if I had a point, it might have been that imagining women to be simple, honest, and holding propriety is imagining.

Or, comparing women to anything other than themselves violates the primary rule of engagement.

I'm not comparing women to anything else. It's an analogy.

Let's try another. Bark is to trees as skin is to people.

In this analogy, trees are not compared to people.

The relationship of trees to their bark is compared to the relationship of people to their skin.

To object to the analogy by pointing out that people are nothing like trees misses the point.

And to elaborate, I've never encountered a house that was needy, jealous, and manipulative.

And, it's outa here!... with the bases loaded ladies and gentleman... [:-thumbu]

when I first saw this topic, before there were any responses, my thought was "tear it down and just run the bare flue up". I didn't feel like commenting as I am still a rookie here.

There are a lot of poorly installed, and therefore problematic rooftop wood and vinyl chases around here. I don't understand why you'd want a fake chimney (that doesn't even look like a chimney) on your roof. In this case I understand having seen an exterior photo. Why not spend the extra bucks and build it from the ground up with proper footings and such, at the get go??

Diff'rent strokes.

I realize that I am late to the party here, but I can't help but comment. As has been said previously, this is a mess. I think the best solution is to remove the brick and run properly flashed B-vents out through the roof.

I obviously haven't been to the home, but based SOLELY on the roof photos -- provided by your inspector, if I understand correctly -- I can't see how he wouldn't have suspected a leak problem, even if the attic was inaccessible. (And that's doubtful given this type of construction with a huge amount of empty space under the rafters.) The flashing is not only all wrong, but it appears to be much newer than the home. Newer flashing found anywhere should be a big red flag to an inspector. I would point out that the flashing at the roof line looks fresh as does the chimney chase cap itself. It should go without saying that poor techniques should be a red flag also.

Were there no indications of a problem noted in the report, such as stains at the ceiling line in the general area of the fireplace?