Masonry chimney chase in attic supported 2x4's??

Great to see a problem solved in a little over two day, but should we not point out to the young lady that the front of her roof (cobbled up with all the peaks and valleys that die into sidewalls) is her next problem.

This may be tied to Jim's analogy. Plain roofs cause less problems than fancy roofs. I like plain roofs, they leak less.

Also, looking at the Lady from Springfield's pictures leads me to think that there is wholly inadequate ventilation. Houses in that mixed climate (hot sticky summers/cold damp winters) require lots of ventilation.

Might be interesting to see a copy of the Inspector's Report. Things like this are teachable moments for young and old alike.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, Ladder and binos.

If it had been a shake roof like all of the neighbors and a dry day I would have. However, it was a flat concrete tile roof with a slight algae slick on it and it was drizzling at the time of the inspection. Anyone who'd have attempted that roof under those conditions would have needed to be wearing one of those big inflatable bouncy-ball suits and would have needed a chase team to stop him rolling.

The owner was upset that I was there six hours; he said that he had it inspected three years ago in less than two hours. I said to him, "What you "got" wasn't an inspection; you got ripped off."

Lots of stuff going on there but no roof leaks or leaking flashings.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"...I called the local building inspector on this, but I have not heard back from him yet...."

And you won't ever. Once that CO is issued they won't come within ten miles of it.

I inspected a "new" house whose garage ceiling fell down on the owner's two vehicles. Local inspectors didn't know or say nuthin'.

Concrete tile is very popular in the southwest. Here in Southern California, just about every home built from 1990 to present has a concrete tile roof. During the latest building boom, every cut-up, fancy, cupola, dog house, etc. (like the ones in the pictures) roof was done with tile. In short, some of these cut-and-fit nightmares would leak in the in the first few years, most would not. And therein lies the problem. It is not craftsmanship, it is playing the percentages. Here in CA, the roof can be a visual nightmare, but if it does not leak, there are no damages. "No harm, no foul". That does not dismiss us from making prudent observations. (I walk on the tile if it is not too steep) In reality, it is very tedious for a client to bring in a "qualified roofing expert, capable of repairs". If they can find a good tile roofer that really knows the "craft", it is very expensive.

And you won't ever. Once that CO is issued they won't come within ten miles of it.

Jim,

About 5 years ago I inspected a newish (few years old?) house in an area known as Happy Valley. I found all kinds of issues/ violations with the home. The homeowner complained to the AHJ who actually sent someone out and confirmed the issues. According to my client/ buyer's agent, the AHJ submitted a written apology to the seller of the house-- go figure.

Jim,

About 5 years ago I inspected a newish (few years old?) house in an area known as Happy Valley. I found all kinds of issues/ violations with the home. The homeowner complained to the AHJ who actually sent someone out and confirmed the issues. According to my client/ buyer's agent, the AHJ submitted a written apology to the seller of the house-- go figure.

We've also had at least one case where an AHJ revoked an occupancy permit based on a chain of events that was put into motion by a home inspection report.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

We've also had at least one case where an AHJ revoked an occupancy permit based on a chain of events that was put into motion by a home inspection report

Wow-- that should have made the news, or did it?

It was all very quiet but in the end a muni inspector was put on suspension and a realtor was fired. The inspector eventually was reinstated, the realtor found another place with a better company.

As I recall, after all the fuss, the home was never fixed.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 3 weeks later...