Is there a distance requirement?

Charlie R

If a garage or other out building has a secondary panel with a 3-wire feed and separate ground rod, no metallic path between the buildings where the primary and secondary panels are located, is there a distance requirement (minimum or maximum) between the primary and secondary panels, or is it between the buildings, or no distance issue at all? Thanks.

If a garage or other out building has a secondary panel with a 3-wire feed and separate ground rod, no metallic path between the buildings where the primary and secondary panels are located, is there a distance requirement (minimum or maximum) between the primary and secondary panels, or is it between the buildings, or no distance issue at all? Thanks.

The distance is irrelevant.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim, I couldn't remember if, after some distance, you were required to have a separate ground or could still use a four-wire feed. The decision to use the four wire feed or three-wire with a separate ground is not distance driven, just preference?

I'm flying without references today, but I believe that pre-2008, the NEC allowed you to choose *if* there were no continuous metallic pathways between the buildings. As far as I know, post 2008 that choice is gone and you're supposed to run 4-wires to any building fed from the service regardless of distance.

- Jim Katen, Oregon