Rough Tiles

Jim Katen

In yesterday's house, the kitchen counters were finished with ordinary looking ceramic tiles. But their texture was odd. They felt exactly like 80 grit sandpaper. When I ran my hand over them, my skin became scuffed, as it would after rubbing sandpaper. Water spilled on the tiles beaded up like it would on wax.

Has anyone else run into this?

If so, is it part of the tile glaze or is it an aftermarket application?

This would be a great finish for a bathroom floor but, I think, not such a good one for a kitchen countertop.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

In yesterday's house, the kitchen counters were finished with ordinary looking ceramic tiles. But their texture was odd. They felt exactly like 80 grit sandpaper. When I ran my hand over them, my skin became scuffed, as it would after rubbing sandpaper. Water spilled on the tiles beaded up like it would on wax.

Yes. I solved the problem by using thrice daily applications of cocoa butter moisturizer.

Yes. I solved the problem by using thrice daily applications of cocoa butter moisturizer.

No way. My rough, manly hands are my best feature.

Mine's my ears. On cold days, I can use them as solar collectors and if the brakes ever fail on my car I can stick my head out the window and use 'em as air brakes (They are a pain in the butt when bicycling into a head wind though.).

Seriously, Jim, I've never seen what you're talking about. It sounds like some after market stuff was added.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Glazed ceramic tiles? They come in a variety of surfaces, from totally glossy, which is a WALL tile only if you want your bones to remain intact, to fairly rough for exterior walkways etc. so they're not slippery when wet. Never seen ones as rough as 80 grit, but I see no reason they couldn't be made.

There is no reason to seal glazed ceramic or porcelain tile. Porous tile, like clay spanish tile or concrete tile is usually sealed and must be maintained with some sort of seal on a regular basis to prevent absorption of stains, or water and deterioration if outdoors. Seal comes glossy or semi-gloss, but not gritty. There is grit available as a paint additive for painted decks to prevent slipping, and I suppose it could be added to seal, but I've never seen it done.

Sounds like someone used a floor tile on the counters. I'd be concerned about it grinding the bottoms of my fine china.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If so, is it part of the tile glaze or is it an aftermarket application?

This would be a great finish for a bathroom floor but, I think, not such a good one for a kitchen countertop.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I ran into that once in my old home, my child even got scratched in the fore arm that is why I replaced it with a new ceramic tile that is not that rough...