vaulted ceilings

John Dirks Jr

I know there can be problems with vaulted ceilings with regard to poor or no ventilation.

Where is the most common place to find conclusive evidence of problems?

On the roof, as your foot protrudes through the drywall below.

Look for and report obvious lack of ventilation, and feel for soft spots in the roof decking.

In case you've never seen this, it makes for a good read:

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif HotRoofCold Roof.pdf

331.47 KB

That's newer construction. I'll bet there is soffit venting disguised into that trim. There are plans somewhere that will show the attic details.

If the vaulted ceiling has problems, you should be able to see some anomalies in the drywall. Check the lower edges with a moisture meter. Shine a light across the surface of the ceiling to see if the drywall is sagging between the rafters.

Could be scissor trusses. Look for an attic access anyway. If so, they're a bitch to get through but I often find the insulation above the ceilings isn't even near touching the ceilings. Be careful you don't slip down into the lower space; it's an even worse bitch to extricate yourself from there.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It had soffit vents and baffles and ridge vent which is good.

It had incorrectly spaced metric shingles which is bad.

Each picture is a different error. I'm sure I could have found many more if I felt like spending enough time up there.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011320152427_P1120964.jpg

61.27 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011320152453_P1120965.jpg

84.39 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011320152536_P1120968.jpg

64.92 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011320152610_P1120970.jpg

67.77 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011320152639_P1120972.jpg

72.32 KB

Here's the baffle that could be seen by lifting the shingles at the eave.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011320152956_P1120960.jpg

24.68 KB

I looked at a 850,000.00 house the other day that had the "bonus" room above the garage finished. The two attic access in the garage showed clearly on the back side of the finished wall the insulation that was installed between the roof sheeting and drywall. No gap at all.

My point is John, you can clearly see the baffles installed, but could you confirm they didn't stuff the ceiling.

That's a new enough place; I'm surprised there's not ice and water shield installed at the eaves.

Well, judging from the shingle installation, no surprise at all.

Maybe not required in Maryland? Even if it was, nobody checked that roof job. It should all be torn off and done right. And I think that's a whole complex worth of roofs they've got there. Ouch!