Furnace Connection Shortcut

Greg Booth

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011322181424_071.jpg

40.91 KB

Today's inspection. In an 1860's farmhouse Carrier, oil fired warm-air furnace, circa 1998. The install of the furnace was well done........excellent ducting, (supply and return), neat piping and wiring etc. But, the installer must have left the flue connection up to the home owner. Up through the floor and poked into the unlined, crumbling fire place/chimney. Leaks through the fire place surround had saturated the carpet/oak T&G flooring.

We once bought a home that had the oil-fired boiler venting into the side of an abandoned fireplace above. The single-walled flue connector passed through closets on each level. I added an additional terra cotta lined flue alongside the existing chimney.

The wife insisted on putting the bricked-up fireplace back into service. I removed one brick and found the firebox completely packed with oil-burner soot. I reached into the soot and pulled out a mummified bird. I then mortared the removed brick back in and said "Sorry Hon, we have enough fireplaces already".

That didn't deter her at all. She busted out the bricks, removed the soot and 26 dead birds.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011323214452_fpbefore.jpg

40.89 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011323214529_fpafter.jpg

15.43 KB

Hahaha! Bill, you have a spunky wife. I occasionally don't take "no" for an answer either, I just wait until my husband goes to work. Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

That wasn't the last time. She wanted a bigger kitchen and I hadn't gotten around to it. I came home one day to find her putting away a sledge hammer. I then saw two walls were gone leaving a few live outlet boxes laying on the floor and a couple switch boxes hanging by wires from the ceiling. That was her subtle hint to make the kitchen my next project.