I can't say from the refractory stance, but some stone will actually burst apart when exposed to the heat of a fire - Quartz being among them.

Some red brick, technically are fine in a fireplace, although not rated for the use. Victor Cushwa hand moulded brick, for instance, are fired at about 2000 degrees if memory serves. I"ve gotten an exception for using them in fireplaces many times by showing that they are fired hotter than the average fireplace temperatures.

The short answer (in my book): I'd be less concerned about the code and more concerned about the temperature that slate can endure. I'd google it. The average fireplace temperature is 1200 - 1500 degrees.

Slate can't be used in the hearth can it?
Slate is stone. Stone is specifically listed as a material that can be used for fireplace walls. The hearth can be concrete or "masonry" (R1001.9). Is slate not considered masonry?

I can't say from the refractory stance, but some stone will actually burst apart when exposed to the heat of a fire - Quartz being among them.
Stone inside fireplaces don't 'splode - at least not the ten thousand+ I've seen that have had fires for over 200 years. Cracks gradually develop in the stones on the back wall directly behind the area of the fire from constant heating and cooling. Eventually some bits of stone break off, but never more of an area of a few square feet. A cast iron fireback prevents any further damage. I only see minor damage to stone hearths. The mortar is another issue.

Most fireplaces built more than 150 years ago were intended to be plastered on the interior. The plaster was sacrificial and often renewed every spring. Exposed stone and brick fireboxes are often not historically accurate. It was removed, just like folks inappropriately removing plaster to expose the "rustic" beams.

Stone inside fireplaces don't 'splode

I'm sure you're right about that, because I've actually repaired a few few ancient fireplaces, constructed with field stone, out in Loudoun County, VA.

But, don't ever pitch a big chunk of quartz into a camp fire unless you're just fond of shrapnel. I suppose it's moisture that creates steam in the material, but it will definitely come apart like a gunshot. You only have to do it once. It'll get your full attention.

But, don't ever pitch a big chunk of quartz into a camp fire unless you're just fond of shrapnel. I suppose it's moisture that creates steam in the material, but it will definitely come apart like a gunshot. You only have to do it once.

So do wet river rocks and unopened bottles of some beer so I uhhhhmmmm, hear.

Wet rocks are one thing. Tossing unopened bottles of beer into a fire, is nothing less than alcohol abuse. Shame on you.

I've been in a few steam saunas where the heated stones were less than pre-cambrian shield granite, and they "exploded". I'm not a geologist, but I remember the pop, and picking stone slivers out of my hide.

Back to fireplaces.....

What about the (very likely to be) wood framing under the slate?

I'd be much less concerned with the stone as I was with the substrate and support components.

Tossing unopened bottles of beer into a fire, is nothing less than alcohol abuse. Shame on you.

[:-slaphap We used to get free beer from a distributor, and there was a great variance in the type and age of the stuff. If you can't drink it when you're far from sober, you might as well feed the fire. Apparently, fire gods prefer something ingestible.

I've been in a few steam saunas where the heated stones were less than pre-cambrian shield granite, and they "exploded". I'm not a geologist, but I remember the pop, and picking stone slivers out of my hide.

The idea is to recline and relax, Kurt; not bend over and stick your butt directly over the rocks of those heaters.

Jeesh, I'm amazed I have to tell you this.[:-banghea

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The idea is to recline and relax, Kurt; not bend over and stick your butt directly over the rocks of those heaters.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike, Mike, Mike... I needed that laugh tonight. You da man. Rough night.... er.. morning... still writing....

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Coulda been worse.......coulda been tea bagging.......