Know what this is?

homeinspector12345

Aside from the obvious stated above, I had a similar piece of scrap metal in my 1960's home sticking throught the floor of a bedroom closet. It rested neatly into a reciever of the main water shutoff in the crawlspace so one could turn off the valve located in the crawlspace from inside the house.

It may be an extension to a shutoff valve buried there or it may be the tool removed from the home and jabbed in the backyard...

What you just said is what I was suspecting. Thanks for the second opinion.

Aside from the obvious stated above, I had a similar piece of scrap metal in my 1960's home sticking throught the floor of a bedroom closet. It rested neatly into a reciever of the main water shutoff in the crawlspace so one could turn off the valve located in the crawlspace from inside the house.

It may be an extension to a shutoff valve buried there or it may be the tool removed from the home and jabbed in the backyard...

Stop and waste valve. (of course that is just the handle) There used to be at least one on the water supply plus another for each outdoor faucet around here back before we insulated anything. Man, am I THAT old?

That made me stop an look up the age of the house I where I was raised. It was built in 1927 so it was already 30 years old when I was born.

One more thing about the valve, they are no longer code compliant since the drain hole below grade was left open for contaminants to reenter the potable water system.