Spray on FIre Retardant

Charles

Put your thinking caps on.

Single family attached dwelling. Wood frame. Some type of spray on fire retardant paint was used in the attic at adjacent unit. Stuff was completely peeling off.

Doe anybody have any information on this application? I've never seen it. Is this residue or should the paint have stuck to the truss and roof decking?

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Click to Enlarge
tn_201132484426_P1016109.jpg

65.67 KB

It was probably applied when there was too much moisture in the material or the temp was too high. Also, the coating looks too thin.

There's a field test that involves putting the flame of a propane torch to it for 10 seconds. The coating should expand and create a consistent char layer. From what is shown in the pic, I don't think you actually need to do the test to know it will fail.

It looks like the stuff was really thin. I have never seen a "thin" fire retardant. Usually like thick latex paint. Runs on the framing would indicate someone was moving the sprayhead from a fixed position. Looks more like the spray mold for gold materials.

I appreciate the comments.

Its definitely not a mold treatment. At first glance I thought it was smoke damage and sealing but it simply didn't make sense that it would only be done along the common wall and not throughout. Its on the roof deck and framing from the adjoining unit fire barrier into this unit approximately four feet.

In our area we see all kinds of methods to create the fire/draft barriers between units in multifamily dwellings and commercial buildings. This is the first I've seen done in this manner, hence the question.

I have found some information on a spray on product and it appears to be much thicker.

I have included one more picture.

At this point I have been unable to provide any clear guidance to my client other than to describe what I observed, that any fire resistance may have been compromised due to the visible condition, to check with the owners association for additional information, and seek a qualified contractor for additional assistance. I hate not having a clear answer.

Charles

Click to Enlarge
tn_201132414854_P1016111.jpg

58.55 KB