Mother of all Efflorescence

hausdok

I've heard of guys in these parts using "antifreeze" in their mortar in the winter when temps are going to go to 32 or lower, and I assume they mean automotive antifreeze. Anyone else come across this? No doubt the EPA would disapprove.

David

I remember seeing the masons do that on a job or two in my earlier days; They did use automotive antifreeze.

In a former life I worked on a large condo development that was triple wythe masonry. The masons worked through winter (on the shore of Lake Erie) by heating their materials. I built a roof over a 20 yard roll off and brick and mortar were stored inside and and kept warm with a salamander. Sand was heated outside by dumping the day's supply over a 55 gallon drum laid on its side with a fire burning inside. Water came straight from the hydrant. No additives at all.

There were a few issues of effloresence but they were the result of problems with the pink dye specified for the mortar. Soft pink brick, hard pink mortar, ugly buildings.

In a former life I worked on a large condo development that was triple wythe masonry. The masons worked through winter (on the shore of Lake Erie) by heating their materials. I built a roof over a 20 yard roll off and brick and mortar were stored inside and and kept warm with a salamander. Sand was heated outside by dumping the day's supply over a 55 gallon drum laid on its side with a fire burning inside. Water came straight from the hydrant. No additives at all.

There were a few issues of effloresence but they were the result of problems with the pink dye specified for the mortar. Soft pink brick, hard pink mortar, ugly buildings.

Tom, Do you remember how mauve the sand immediately around the drum used to become, from the heat?