Iron bacteria in drain tile?

I've heard of iron bacteria or iron ocher, but never seen it before. I know that it can really screw up drain tile systems, but that's about all. If I google 'iron ocher' or 'iron bacteria' I can find a bunch of information put out by some guy by the name of Stephen Andras, who owns a basement waterproofing company.

Most of the info he has published explains what he does to deal with this stuff, but it doesn't help me with giving advice to the person who's buying this house.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had experience with this stuff?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011325214521_DSC00577.jpg

71.09 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011325214545_DSC00578.jpg

65.71 KB

We have areas around here that have this problem. Usually it is in conjunction with standing water within a few hundred yards.

It is always the viscosity of Jello and easy to clear out of sumps and tile. Many homeowners use a jet head on their garden hose and just flush it to the sump and pump it out. In more extreme cases they have a drain cleaner clear it. It is often confused with mold.

Check TIJ archives for more info!

It has a slightly bitter taste and should not be consumed warm.

We have areas around here that have this problem. Usually it is in conjunction with standing water within a few hundred yards.

It is always the viscosity of Jello and easy to clear out of sumps and tile. Many homeowners use a jet head on their garden hose and just flush it to the sump and pump it out. In more extreme cases they have a drain cleaner clear it. It is often confused with mold.

Thanks, Les.

Check TIJ archives for more info!

I searched the archives first, and couldn't find any info other that what I could easily find with a google search. Do you know of any specific threads on this forum that apply to this topic that don't use the terms "iron ocher" or "iron bacteria" ?

It has a slightly bitter taste and should not be consumed warm.

You tell me now.

- Reuben

Pretty much right. Please be aware there are many regional differences for this problem.

I have heard of some special receipes that cure it forever, but really most are just fim-flam.

If you do a search online you will come up with lots of info.

It is my opinion the "sludge" is mostly harmless.