Do these flue tiles need repair?

This wood-burning fireplace was built in 1968.

There is a gap at the top where the last flue tile needed to be a little higher, so the mason just pulled it up a few inches. Should we be concerned with the gap there?

There is a gap at the bottom where the first flue tile does not appear to be well sealed. Are repairs needed at the lower end?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201143182842_chimney%201.jpg

58.54 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201143182910_chimney2.jpg

73.87 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201143182936_chimney%203.jpg

58.92 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114318303_chimney%204.jpg

82.6 KB

The sweeps I know tell me that those gaps are very bad because they'll allow soot to build up in the interstitial spaces between the liner and the outer masonry. The soot could, of course, catch fire.

It's not much of a problem in my area because most of the chimneys lack liners anyway. . .

This wood-burning fireplace was built in 1968.

There is a gap at the top where the last flue tile needed to be a little higher, so the mason just pulled it up a few inches. Should we be concerned with the gap there?

Yes.

There is a gap at the bottom where the first flue tile does not appear to be well sealed. Are repairs needed at the lower end?
I'd recommend it.

There's also some offsets at the flue tile joints. Some sweeps here insist that a chimney be relined or even rebuilt if there is more than 1/8'' offset. They also insist the same if there is more than a 1/16" gap in the mortar of any joints. I have to warn my clients about what some sweeps will say to sell a liner or chimney rebuild.

I have to warn my clients about what some sweeps will say to sell a liner or chimney rebuild.

Same here. If you read down through all of the NFPA's most current recommendations, it essentially condemns all chimneys.

It's open season for sweeps to recommend liners and rebuilds.

OK, thanks all. There's no soot in this flue, but you can never tell how much use it's going to get from the new owners.

If the flue liner needs repair, I don't see a problem with adding a metal liner. It eliminates the uncertainty for a reasonable cost. In fact, I often tell people to have an airtight insert and a liner installed so that they can get some decent efficiency and close off that drafty hole in the wall.

Different house now. I had a 100 year old fireplace earlier this week that had no damper in it and just a spark screen parked in front of it. Brrrr.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201143234836_fireplace.jpg

69.08 KB

Nice patch. My clients were told $1600 was spent on the 3 chimneys.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20114323496_chimney2.jpg

51.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201143234934_chimney.jpg

59.48 KB

This flue with the moisture in it is venting a gas water heater in the same house. I called for a liner and a chimney cap.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201143235758_chimney3.jpg

43.57 KB

Here's the corbelled section in the attic, two bedrooms up there. Hard to believe they had these chimneys repaired and nobody saw a problem with this flue?