60 amp breaker is main for 150 panel

Jim Baird

This ITE brand panelbox has a 60 amp breaker labeled Main. It is dbl pole, each with a #6 copper wire connected to these little lugs at top between the two big SE conductor terminals.

It works...little schematic on paper in back says to put main here, midway down left side, 70 amps max.

Have not seen this before.

Comments?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011442296_HPIM2942.jpg

83.46 KB

This ITE brand panelbox has a 60 amp breaker labeled Main. It is dbl pole, each with a #6 copper wire connected to these little lugs at top between the two big SE conductor terminals.

It works...little schematic on paper in back says to put main here, midway down left side, 70 amps max.

Comments?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011442296_HPIM2942.jpg

83.46 KB

That's a split bus panel. Common as dirt around here. The top 6 2-pole breakers are all mains. The one labeled main controls all of the breakers below it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Comments?

That's a split bus panel. Common as dirt around here. The top 6 2-pole breakers are all mains. The one labeled main controls all of the breakers below it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It is labeled incorrectly, is it not?

Thanks, Jim K for your reply. I have seen many, but none like this. I am OK with your description, and I found, honestly, no probs with this panel.

Question: Is it fair for me to describe this panel as antiquated but not unsafe?

(This is an inherited property with non-resident ownership and non-resident buyer, can't really understand motivation of buyer...

BTW, I have used your home-made pocket checklist design on several jobs, but do not have any improvements to offer, beyond my personal preference.

I've seen my share of those, mostly because we've had an ITE-heavy wholesale electrical distributor in town for 50 or 60 years now. Dumb design, never should have been allowed as service equipment in residential use, but not dangerous as far as I know.

Brian G.

Electrical Does Not Improve With Age [:-indiffe