Home Inspection Advice

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I would like to know what to look out for. Looking for tips, suggestions. Thanks.

How to pick a home inspector or How to inspect the home yourself?

I don't believe Ohio has licensing so that is one option closed. Each of the national home inspector associations say their members are the best. I have my favorites but we don't talk about associations here. [:-taped]

When interviewing inspectors ask price last. Ask about experience, training, reporting, ability to attend the inspection.

An inspection should take a minimun of 2 hours. Anything less and you are not getting a worthwhile inspection.

Nice idea, but contrary to published reports, one can't learn everything there is to know in 10 minutes.

Anyone want to try to fill this guy in on what it took most of us well over a decade to digest?

It's not complicated, it's not even hard, it's just a lot of stuff. Lots.

More than you can imagine.

Obviously, I am not hoping to learn everything. How about I ask a few specific questions.

Nice idea, but contrary to published reports, one can't learn everything there is to know in 10 minutes.

Anyone want to try to fill this guy in on what it took most of us well over a decade to digest?

It's not complicated, it's not even hard, it's just a lot of stuff. Lots.

More than you can imagine.

I am going to read some of Terry's posts. However, give me one more name. Who do you think is the best home inspector in Ohio?

That's a specious question. It's like asking who the best doctor in Ohio is. How could one quantitatively, and honestly, answer such a question?

That's not a much better question than the last one. You were offered a great referral above. You can also visit ASHI.org or even Nahi,org, and do a search there. Call and find one you are comfortable with. You will notice most of us posting on here are from different parts of the country, can't necessarily vouch for everyone in OH.

Only a small fraction of the home inspectors in this country are members of this forum.

We're familiar with only that fraction.

If you desire more names, visit sites of inspectors in your area and read their sample reports. Often times, you can discern the good ones from their reports.

Marc

Hello:

Terry here from Harbor Light Inspection Services.

Ezra Malernee is another local inspector and is very good. You can reach him through http://www.ezrashome.com/

Another good resource, as mentioned before is ASHI - http://www.ashi.org/

I can be reached at 330-467-7100 should you have any further question.

All the best,

Thank you Terry. Best of good luck to you too.

I feel bad for the person "you" decide on. You come on a home inspection forum with inspectors from across the country and ask who we think is best or even better yet, best qualified. How do suspect we would know that? Sorry I took the time to actually reply to you! Now that I think more about it, you should check with iachi, I have a feeling that's more your pace. Sent from a PC...

can't necessarily vouch for everyone in OH.

Really

I feel bad for the person "you" decide on. You come on a home inspection forum with inspectors from across the country and ask who we think is best or even better yet, best qualified. How do suspect we would know that? Sorry I took the time to actually reply to you! Now that I think more about it, you should check with iachi, I have a feeling that's more your pace. Sent from a PC...

can't necessarily vouch for everyone in OH.

Really

I apologize for hurting your fee lings.