Home Inspection Advice

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello:

Terry here from Harbor Light Inspection Services.

Ezra Malernee is another local inspector and is very good. You can reach him through http://www.ezrashome.com/

Another good resource, as mentioned before is ASHI - http://www.ashi.org/

I can be reached at 330-467-7100 should you have any further question.

All the best,

Thanks Terry for throwing my name in. Maybe we could tag team bakkam. One guy could do the inspection while the other explains to him what a complete Inspections involves.

We could bring along a film crew and record the event and post it here on TIJ for the public to see. All TIJ Inspection members could do a voice over on the different parts of the film and then credits could be given to all.

Home buyers would then know who the best Inspectors are throughout North America.

I want to inspect the home myself before the professional home inspection. This way, I hope to minimize missed items.

Nope,

That's not the way it works.

If you want to be a Mike Holmes, you have to first allow the deal to go through. Then, once the transaction has closed, you get to tear open walls and ceilings, which the home inspector hadn't been able to see behind because he didn't have X-ray vision, and then you get to loudly go around telling everyone what the home inspector missed.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

If you are trying to "prequalify" a house before you make an offer or even choose between a couple of homes find your inspector first. Get to know him. I've done this for clients before. In my market I educate a home buyer on what to look for as signs of foundation movement. We have a lot of that here. I also advise them to examine the disclosure statement to learn the ages of the roof and mechanical equipment.

I want to inspect the home myself before the professional home inspection. This way, I hope to minimize missed items.

Nope,

That's not the way it works.

If you want to be a Mike Holmes, you have to first allow the deal to go through. Then, once the transaction has closed, you get to tear open walls and ceilings, which the home inspector hadn't been able to see behind because he didn't have X-ray vision, and then you get to loudly go around telling everyone what the home inspector missed.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The issue for the consumer is that they have to do their due diligence because any dumbo can take a course, get some experience, pass an exam and exam and claim to a home inspector, legitimately. In Ohio, HI's are not even regulated by the state.

If you are trying to "prequalify" a house before you make an offer or even choose between a couple of homes find your inspector first. Get to know him. I've done this for clients before. In my market I educate a home buyer on what to look for as signs of foundation movement. We have a lot of that here. I also advise them to examine the disclosure statement to learn the ages of the roof and mechanical equipment.

I think you have correctly identified and more importantly put in words (prequalify a house) what I am trying to do. Thank you Charlie.

I am not here to ruffle anybody's feathers here. Let me give an example. I hired a mover sometime back after doing my research. He did a good job. I offered to write and publish a review of his work. It worked good well for both of us.

Bakkam,

I suppose I do know most of the inspectors that have replied to your initial post. They are all good.

If you called my office and asked what to look for before you hired one of our inspectors, I likely would tell Paula to avoid putting you on the sched.

Yes, I do refuse to work for some folks. Yes, I am pretty ornery. Yes, I get pissy when you make light of what these inspectors do. Who is the best inspector? Jerry Peck.

PS: Ezra has good looking grandkids, so he must be a good inspector?

Bakkam,

I suppose I do know most of the inspectors that have replied to your initial post. They are all good.

If you called my office and asked what to look for before you hired one of our inspectors, I likely would tell Paula to avoid putting you on the sched.

Yes, I do refuse to work for some folks. Yes, I am pretty ornery. Yes, I get pissy when you make light of what these inspectors do. Who is the best inspector? Jerry Peck.

PS: Ezra has good looking grandkids, so he must be a good inspector?

You couldn't be more wrong. I have the max respect for people who are good.

whew..........I think Ezra had it right.......you guys ought to tag team this fellow.

Or, consider the fact that some of the best jobs are the one's you don't do.

I agree with Kurt.

On occasion, after I get multiple calls and an abundance of inane questions that indicate that a potential client may be more than I want to handle, my schedule becomes very full and I will become unavailable to do their inspection.

After doing inspections for so many years you get a feeling for these things.

[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

whew..........I think Ezra had it right.......you guys ought to tag team this fellow.

Or, consider the fact that some of the best jobs are the one's you don't do.

I agree with Kurt.

On occasion, after I get multiple calls and an abundance of inane questions that indicate that a potential client may be more than I want to handle, my schedule becomes very full and I will become unavailable to do their inspection.

After doing inspections for so many years you get a feeling for these things.

[:-thumbu]

Bakkam quote: "I want to inspect the home myself before the professional home inspection. This way, I hope to minimize missed items."

Marc, you really think that is doing his homework?

Charlie, you are too nice. I don't think you meant for him to pre-inspect. We offer the same advice every day.

This business is really quite small when you consider numbers of inspectors that are really good. The very best stay out of the limelight and most really do not care if they work with you. There are exceptions.

I would not hesitate to have Terry H or Ezra inspect a house for my kids or grandkids; call me foolish.

Bakkam, what type, not specifically, of work do you do? Just to help the conversation along.

Thank you Les. I try to be a nice guy, sometimes to a fault.

I' don't get your preinspect comment. I'm happy to tell a potential home owner the obvious things to look for. I'd rather only do one inspection for him. It pains me to tell a client that is on the edge financially the HAVC is working but 25 years old and the the 3 tab roof is just as old. This sometimes means they move on in their hunt and I may have to do it again. If asked I'll give them my short list of important things to look for based upon my perception of them. In the end we are in the business to educate. Why not give them a taste on the front side.

Thank you Les. I try to be a nice guy, sometimes to a fault.

I' don't get your preinspect comment. I'm happy to tell a potential home owner the obvious things to look for. I'd rather only do one inspection for him. It pains me to tell a client that is on the edge financially the HAVC is working but 25 years old and the the 3 tab roof is just as old. This sometimes means they move on in their hunt and I may have to do it again. If asked I'll give them my short list of important things to look for based upon my perception of them. In the end we are in the business to educate. Why not give them a taste on the front side.

Awesome.

.. In the end we are in the business to educate. ...

I am in the business of running a business and supporting my family. If I can educate my clients and the public as part of my business that is even better.

If I can trade knowledge with my fellow professional home inspectors it is a win for us too. The more I learn, the more I realize how much I still need to learn!