Home Inspection Advice

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Les. I try to be a nice guy, sometimes to a fault.

I' don't get your preinspect comment. I'm happy to tell a potential home owner the obvious things to look for. I'd rather only do one inspection for him. It pains me to tell a client that is on the edge financially the HAVC is working but 25 years old and the the 3 tab roof is just as old. This sometimes means they move on in their hunt and I may have to do it again. If asked I'll give them my short list of important things to look for based upon my perception of them. In the end we are in the business to educate. Why not give them a taste on the front side.

Well, I'm surprised. We agree on almost everything, but not on this.

First, how do you "pre-qualify" someone that comes in asking for tips and pointers about "what to look for"? They don't know what to look for, and you're going to tell them?

Second, how can anyone know anything over the phone? You're going to start telling them about a roof or furnace you haven't seen.....(?).....You're going to advise them on items you have no basis for commenting on....(?).....

Third, the guy is a ball buster. He comes in, asks some questions, a few guys that I know are real smart try to talk to him, and he starts busting their balls.

Fourth, he holds out a carrot that if you play his game, he'll write a pretty story about you. mmmmmmmm......uh huh........

Charley, you know better.

Les had it as good as anyone. I get this stuff on the other end of my phone, I suddenly get real busy.

I' don't get your preinspect comment. I'm happy to tell a potential home owner the obvious things to look for. I'd rather only do one inspection for him. It pains me to tell a client that is on the edge financially the HAVC is working but 25 years old and the the 3 tab roof is just as old. This sometimes means they move on in their hunt and I may have to do it again. If asked I'll give them my short list of important things to look for based upon my perception of them. In the end we are in the business to educate. Why not give them a taste on the front side.

First, how do you "pre-qualify" someone that comes in asking for tips and pointers about "what to look for"? They don't know what to look for, and you're going to tell them?

Second, how can anyone know anything over the phone? You're going to start telling them about a roof or furnace you haven't seen.....(?).....You're going to advise them on items you have no basis for commenting on....(?).....

Third, the guy is a ball buster. He comes in, asks some questions, a few guys that I know are real smart try to talk to him, and he starts busting their balls.

Fourth, he holds out a carrot that if you play his game, he'll write a pretty story about you. mmmmmmmm......uh huh........

Les had it as good as anyone. I get this stuff on the other end of my phone, I suddenly get real busy.

Be glad that you are self employed as a home inspector, assuming that you are one. You wouldn't survive a day in the corporate world with this kind of mindset.

Be glad that you are self employed as a home inspector, assuming that you are one. You wouldn't survive a day in the corporate world with this kind of mindset.

Ha, ha. It's one of the groovy aspects of the job. We're in charge of our own destinies and, unlike the corporate world, if we choose not to waste time, we don't have to.

I DO appreciate people who apply due diligence, but your scope of experience and knowledge limits your ability to TRULY choose a competent inspector. That's why you should listen closely when someone here recommends another. Does a real estate attorney or mortgage broker REALLY know enough about houses to steer you in the right direction? The answer is no. That's why coming here was a smart move. If you want to find a good chef, don't ask someone who eats, ask a room full of chefs.

I, too, have little patience for people who want to interview me with a list of questions cribbed from the internet. I get asked if I'm "accredited" by the BBB. I quickly explain that no one is accredited, that the BBB is basically a sales device that solicits my three hundred bucks so I can say I'm member. I may be the most incompetent schmuck in the world, but if I give the BBB three hundred bucks, some sap is gonna think that means something.

My two cents.

Okay, how many people who contribute to this site do the work that they do because of that whole corporate attitude b------t, not to mention as a small business owner I am a corporation, does that put me in the corporate world? Would you do your taxes prior to your accountant showing up and tell him it's only because you want to insure that he's not missing anything? How about a little respect.

The biggest single lesson I've taken home from working in the larger corporations is to keep your eyes closed and mouth shut to endless inefficiency that makes your head want to explode. And, just do what the all wise "top down" management tells you to do. Armed with that understanding anyone can make it in the corporate world. I just couldn't sit by and watch companies do so badly.

Nothing to see here, time to move on.

I generally agree, but there's stuff to learn here. The only reason I kept up with it is this is stuff that pops up from time to time in our business.

I get a half dozen of this sort of thing every year; some guy asking questions that essentially indicate he has no respect for other people and what they might know. They're sure they know it front and back, because they watch HGTV and subscribe to Fine Woodworking, and they have the ten questions you're supposed to ask your home inspector stenciled on their forehead.

My approach on the phone is similar to what I've tried hre; I'll try to engage the individual about what really matters, but if it keeps going back around to some guy telling me what's what, I know it's best to move on.

I think some folks in this biz get caught up in the mindset of trying to satisfy this guy. Problem is, you can't satisfy this sort of client. They're not going to let some schmoe home inspector tell them about buildings, they're going to set the standard of care.

It's the danger zone, where one ought not to go, and one of those jobs that are best not done.

His riff on corporate comment says it all.

I generally agree, but there's stuff to learn here. The only reason I kept up with it is this is stuff that pops up from time to time in our business.

I get a half dozen of this sort of thing every year; some guy asking questions that essentially indicate he has no respect for other people and what they might know. They're sure they know it front and back, because they watch HGTV and subscribe to Fine Woodworking, and they have the ten questions you're supposed to ask your home inspector stenciled on their forehead.

My approach on the phone is similar to what I've tried hre; I'll try to engage the individual about what really matters, but if it keeps going back around to some guy telling me what's what, I know it's best to move on.

I think some folks in this biz get caught up in the mindset of trying to satisfy this guy. Problem is, you can't satisfy this sort of client. They're not going to let some schmoe home inspector tell them about buildings, they're going to set the standard of care.

It's the danger zone, where one ought not to go, and one of those jobs that are best not done.

Agreed. And, isn't it ALWAYS the fella you try the hardest to please, by going above and beyond, that ends up being the biggest complainer?

The guy wouldn't have showed up here if he knew anything about houses; he would have been confident enough to look around the house himself to make certain the person he hired didn't miss anything.

The flip side, is that some schmoe thinks he can post a question here, and learn enough to second-guess, and outshine, that person he's gonna hire, which to me is both stupid and patronizing. It's sort of like a recently-graduated college student; he doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Like I said last night, the person who made the original post is boring and wasn't even clever enough to ask the correct questions. But the thread IS instructive since we have to deal with these kinds of people on a regular basis. I'm with Kurt. Some folks are natural-born energy vampires. And there's always that brief moment during a conversation when I instinctively know it's time to send that vampire elsewhere.

I haven't heard from this chap - don't know if Ezra has or not. Perhaps he/she is one of those that likes to stir the pot, I dunno. Best not to feed it anymore though as further discussion is quite pointless.

Nope, haven't heard from him.

On educating the public; I do enjoy this forum, as it allows the public to come in and ask questions of us, unlike other closed sites. When I figure out how to do it, I plan on linking TIJ to my website blog and Facebook page so as to get my clients to use this site as a place to get tips on how to fix all the things I found wrong at their house.

I also like that we are moderated and can cut off discussion when needed. My thought is that bakkam's question has been answered.

Terry, I would like to shadow you (more like I would put a shadow over you) on an inspection, if for no other reason then to pick your brain on HVAC. I am looking at a house for my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson to live in, when they get back from England this summer, that currently has electric baseboard heat. Looking for the best stuff, best price, and best method. I'll buy lunch.

Being skilled at recognizing potential problems spills over into things other than buildings. I've gotten quite good at weeding out folks that I really don't want/need for a client.

After doing this a couple dozen years, I now see a little red flag waving above their head after only a couple sentences. In white letters on the red flag is the word PITA. I saw that flag in his second post.

Nope, haven't heard from him.

Terry, I would like to shadow you (more like I would put a shadow over you) on an inspection, if for no other reason then to pick your brain on HVAC. I am looking at a house for my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson to live in, when they get back from England this summer, that currently has electric baseboard heat. Looking for the best stuff, best price, and best method. I'll buy lunch.

Hell ya Erza, I'd be glad too. I still have contacts in the HVAC supply world and a business account with Famous Supply. BTW, if you ever need any HVAC parts look me up 1st (it rubs me the wrong way to pay retail).

I think some folks in this biz get caught up in the mindset of trying to satisfy this guy.

He perhaps hasn't ever hired a home inspector before, or maybe he hired a lousy one and came away with a lousy view of the profession. I don't mind working for misinformed clients that still have an open mind. I'm not sure this guy is inflexible. Educating the public is part of my advertisement campaign, usually cost me little more than my time and works great.

Marc

Well, sure, so do I. The difference between ourselves is......

I understand it's my classroom, and the student needs to sit down and listen first, talk second. After some fundamentals are covered and course work described, the student is free to ask as many questions as they want.

The student is not allowed to come in, tell me what they're going to accept or deny, try to entice me to play their games with the offer of a pretty story, and they're definitely not allowed to get snippy and pissy with anyone.

After a relationship of mutual respect is established, then things can lighten up, and real learning can occur.

I'll be glad to come up to Ohio to perform your inspection. Yes, I live in TN but I could make a long weekend and do a little antique hunting on the way and back home. As for my fee, well you are looking in the area of .14 a square foot(under roof) + $275 and my travel fees or cost which I estimate to be around $1,500. So for less than the cost of a new HVAC system you can get a licensed (in two states) home inspector with 15+ years experience to inspect your home. My next opening that I can fit you in will be the first week of May.

Or you can have Terrance and Ezra do a tag team inspection for I would guess a little less than my fee.

There are times when I wish I could read the stuff you guys post without the knowledge of who you really are. Bonnie Trenga would love that sentence!

I really can't imagine anyone getting to Scott P on an inspection. 1. He is a big guy! 2. He is smoooooooth! 3. He is so un-assuming and comfortable with his knowledge and skill, you would do well to shut up and listen!

OTOH, Kurt is 1. Taller than Scott. 2. Drives a nicer truck! 3. Leaps tall buildings with a single bound! 4. Has knowledge and skills that scare me! I used to make his hair hurt!

The OP has started a good conversation that reminds us that we must have inter-personal skills as well as technical skill. I used to really be a nice pleasant guy, now I do get a tad on the arrogant nasty side when dealing with folks that seem to know everything.

PS: I was in the corporate world for couple days. Failed. I have managed to make a living doing this lowly work for few decades. Oh Well, we are all a bit different.

I'd say I dropped my pants and left my backside exposed. Now the world knows one of my many faults. I look at people with innocent eyes. I do admire folks who can dissect other people and discern their dark inner motives. But hay, I'm happy with who I am.

It's Charlie, I've got all the male parts!

Steve, I'm in business to make money. I enjoy being a consumer advocate and actually enjoy what I do. I said "I've got the best job in the world. I get paid to run my mouth and give my opinion." to many a client.

To all, I'll tell anyone who calls to look for cracks in x y z locations and the check age of the mechanical equipment. Think what you may. It's customer service. It helps me put more business on the books, clients are happy and the only calls I get from lawyers are ones where they want to pay me.

I don't know who or what bakkam is but I really don't care. We're all free to run our business how we see fit. Your mileage may vary.

Well, sure, so do I. The difference between ourselves is......

I understand it's my classroom, and the student needs to sit down and listen first, talk second. After some fundamentals are covered and course work described, the student is free to ask as many questions as they want.

The student is not allowed to come in, tell me what they're going to accept or deny, try to entice me to play their games with the offer of a pretty story, and they're definitely not allowed to get snippy and pissy with anyone.

After a relationship of mutual respect is established, then things can lighten up, and real learning can occur.

Well said that Kurt.

I'm sure this person had no intention of getting a home inspection - just an internet troll seeing what pot can be stirred. They sit back and smile as they observe what they started. What's curious is that even negative comments seems to fuel them. It's just their M.O. Don't feed the trolls, it only gives them the nourishment they need to survive (much as my post has).

Anyway, how about those Cavs? I'm not sure but I think we may have broken the record for the most loses. Go Cavs (and take the Browns with you).

I'd say I dropped my pants and left my backside exposed. Now the world knows one of my many faults. I look at people with innocent eyes. I do admire folks who can dissect other people and discern their dark inner motives. But hay, I'm happy with who I am.

It's Charlie, I've got all the male parts!

Steve, I'm in business to make money. I enjoy being a consumer advocate and actually enjoy what I do. I said "I've got the best job in the world. I get paid to run my mouth and give my opinion." to many a client.

To all, I'll tell anyone who calls to look for cracks in x y z locations and the check age of the mechanical equipment. Think what you may. It's customer service. It helps me put more business on the books, clients are happy and the only calls I get from lawyers are ones where they want to pay me.

I don't know who or what bakkam is but I really don't care. We're all free to run our business how we see fit. Your mileage may vary.

Charlie,

I am in agreement - 100% with you! I love what I do. I have become more impatient as I age.

Also, I must remind myself to be nice when confronted with someone that tries to tell me how to do my job.

Charlie is a nicer guy than me. JD Grewel and John Ghent may be grumpier than me!